Icons rearranging when discs are burned

Thermidor

Registered
I've been organizing hundreds of small graphics files, and I'm now ready to burn copies to send to others. I've got a main folder with about sixty customized folders. I've arranged these category folder icons in careful rows, grouped by content.

The problem comes when I burn the main folder to DVD media. Upon opening, the subfolders on the burned copy are mysteriously rearranged, no longer aligned. Some icons remain in place, but seemingly random folders are wildly misplaced.

Is there anything I can do to basically re-create the exact icon placement when it comes to duplication?

I'm hoping I'm missing something, but nothing seems to work. I've tried rearranging the folders by making sure they're all aligned to grid in the window. No luck. I've resized the folders in the window before burning, larger and smaller. No luck.

I'm running 10.3.9, and I've been burning DVDs with Burnz. I don't have Toast installed, though I'd get it if it would make a difference.

Thanks in advance for any help.

It sounds like "Burnz" isn't burning the relevant .DS_Store files to the DVD media, which are required to keep the custom arrangement of icons.

Have you tried using Disk Utility? Make a disk image of the folder you intend to burn, then use Disk Utility to burn the DMG to a DVD -- AFAIK, Disk Utility respects and transfers the .DS_Store files to the writable media, keeping your custom icon arrangement intact.

If you have a folder you'd like to burn to DVD, simply launch Disk Utility, then select File > New > Disk Image From Folder

Then, simply burn that image to your DVD. The icon placement should remain intact.

Thank you, sir. You are a gentleman and a scholar, a mover and a shaker, a violinist and a lover of stately elms, a biker and a driver, a narcoleptic and a massage therapist. Everything is alright now, in all parts of life.

Chilé Tampono con Sueños,

le Thermidor

Back