iDVD 4 external burner hack?

SuperMatt

Matthew Smith
I have recently got a great deal on an external firewire DVR-106D and it works fine, except it doesn't work with iDVD. Anybody know a hack to allow it to work? By the way, I'm working on a powerbook G4/800 (bought it before superdrives were an option) so putting the drive into the case isn't going to happen. I found an iDVD enabler software package on gnutella, but it gives me the error "The Bill of Materials for this package was not found" when I try to run it. I'm guessing it's some kind of hack of a plist or device description file that could be done by hand, if it was known...

Matthew

iDVD will only work with internal drives now, and I don't know of any hack that will allow it to work with external drives. I don't think one exists.

You can always make your project in iDVD, export it, then burn it with Toast.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
iDVD will only work with internal drives now, and I don't know of any hack that will allow it to work with external drives. I don't think one exists.

You can always make your project in iDVD, export it, then burn it with Toast.

Does that really work? I thought the archived file could only be opened by iDVD. I assume that because encoding doesn't even seem to happen, considering that when I choose the archive option, I'm asked for 83GB of disk space. I wish I could do that though. As it is, I'm feeling sorry I bought the external burner...

Matthew

iDVD is only way-cheap because Apple makes the $$ back when people buy a superdrive-equipped Mac -- the only machine that can use it.

Export your project, burn it on a CD and burn a DVD on a Superdrive-equipped Mac. The hardest part is finding someone with a Superdrive-equipped Mac.

Back