iDVD and External Drives--Whats the deal?

mdanda

Registered
Can I use iDVD with an external DVD burner?

My research so far indicates the following:
-No, you can't
-At one point, someone found a workaround to make iDVD work with a certain external drive
-Apple learned of this workaround and put a stop to it ::evil::

What's the deal with iDVD only working with the internal Superdrive?

I bought a new PB12 recently and was already way over budget, so I opted against getting the superdrive version. Now I want to correct the folly of my decision and get an external DVD burner.

Will the newer versions of MacOS and/or newer external burners support iDVD?

iDVD works only with internal SuperDrives. That is what is was developed for.

But you can use Roxio's Toast to burn DVDs.

There's some hacks that allow you to use iDVD. Macosxhints has it, and you could probably Google. Search foor Mac, DVD, HPfurz and you should find the details. I have an external Pioneer DVD burner and can use iDVD with it, though to be honest, I've only done one project in iDVD and use Toast 6 for my burning needs.

Cheryl said:
iDVD works only with internal SuperDrives. That is what is was developed for.

What's the deal with that? They included iDVD on my non-superdrive Powerbook for a reason, right? I am trying very hard to make the iLife suite work for me (as advertised), without buying additional software for my Mac.

What is the technical and business justification for dedicating iDVD to only the internal Superdrive, da##it!!! :mad:

Their justification is this: the iDVD software costs money to develop and upgrade, yet they sell it for next to nothing. They recovers that cost through sales of Superdrives. Apple is primarily a hardware company.

So, an important word-to-the-wise for Mac buyers wanting to burn video DVDs: Don't buy a non-superdrive Mac assuming you can add a 3rd-party DVD burner later and use iDVD; it won't work.

Not easily anyway.

They include iDVD and let people install iDVD on non-SuperDrive macs so that people that have a laptop without a SuperDrive can take their iDVD projects with them and edit and play with them, then bring them back home to their SuperDrive-equipped desktop, transfer over the project from the laptop and burn it. Simple.

Back