IE in 10.2

Captain Code

Staff member
Mod
Did anyone else notice how fast IE is at rendering pages in 10.2?

It's like a whole new browser!

The resizing is still kinda crappy with my lowly Rage 128, but what can you expect from a 4 year old video card.

Everything is much faster in 10.2.

Just today, I logged into 10.1 and relized how much 10.2 rules! 10.1 was like a peice of crap next to 10.2.

Whats faster about it? What version of IE is it? Hopefully what sped it up will speed others up because I'm not going to use IE.

Is 10.2 out or something? Did I just totally miss the boat or something? What's going on? Where am I?!?! What's this glowing thing in front of me?!!?

Oh, it's my friggin' family PC, since it would be too much trouble to connect my iMac to the internet. Not because of the hardware, just because there's no place near a phone line to put it. :)

God, every time I use this friggin' PC and then go back downstairs to my beautiful iMac I'm reminded why I'm such a zealot. :D

-the valrus

I think it's the same version as what's in 10.1, but I'll have to get back on that one since I can't check right now.

EVERYTHING is faster, even with my crappy Rage 128.

Chimera does seem a bit faster at rendering than it does in 10.1.

Menus open instantly now.

Finder navigation is sooo much faster.

iDisk doesn't kill the Finder(each window is a thread it seems)

It's gunna be good!:D:D:D

Hey! Do you all know how much OS X version 11.4 rocks? It's blazingly fast, and it automagically adapts itself to any hardware! I'm running it right now on my old 286 box, and it kicks!

It even does precognition for me! I only have to think of what I want to type and it appears on the screen! Is that cool or what?!

Or, in other words, Knock it off, you're making me jealous. :)

IE version is still 5.1.4... M$ is working on a new version to come out with the final release of Jaguar.

Anyway... I use Omniweb or Chimera in 10.1 and 10.2... They all get faster! :D :D :D

It's a great time to be a Mac user! ;)

Ciao

Yeah, Chimera flies in 10.2 compared to 10.1. And I don't even have a Quartz Extreme compatible video card, so I assume it's really going to fly on newer Macs.

Need a new video card... :D

Darn it, I want that beta!

iTunes locked my system at least three times today ripping troublesome CDs.

Are you kidding? IE, fast in 10.2? You don't know what "fast in 10.2" means! HAVE YOU TRIED OMNIWEB 4.1b6 in 10.2?? OMG that thing is fast... :) The Quartz rendering REALLY sped up. It renders pages nearly instantly on my machine.

Unfortunately, I was having a lot of very random problems with Jaguar, and so I switched back to 10.1.3, which incidentally works better than it ever did. Wierd. But yeah, Jaguar is going to be great. Part of me keeps wanting to reinstall Jaguar and use it as my main OS, but there were so many problems, which MAY OR MAY NOT have been caused by my nearly defective external FireWire hard drive (I'm really hoping they weren't caused by it, so that I can feel safe knowing that Jaguar isn't QUITE as good as I thought it was--otherwise I'd be spending all day staring at the Jaguar CD, wondering whether I should reinstall it... :) But since there is no upgrade path from Jaguar to the real 10.2, and since moving back to Jaguar would mean--you guessed it--backing up my files to that very iffy external hard drive, I just don't want to risk it again :)

This may just be a rumor, but from what I've heard from a few sources around the net is that a new version of IE may be coming out with 10.1.5. My guess is 5.5, but as I said it could just be a rumor.. either way I'm still not gonna use it! :p

Originally posted by Bluefusion
HAVE YOU TRIED OMNIWEB 4.1b6 in 10.2?? OMG that thing is fast... :) The Quartz rendering REALLY sped up. It renders pages nearly instantly on my machine.

No, I haven't tried it in Jaguar yet. I'm downloading 4.1b7 right now though.

The thing that puts me off from using Omniweb is that it isn't HTML standards compliant.

I know that IE isn't either, and I almost never used it, but I just thought I would let people know that it's a lot faster.

Unfortunately, I was having a lot of very random problems with Jaguar, and so I switched back to 10.1.3, which incidentally works better than it ever did. Wierd. But yeah, Jaguar is going to be great. Part of me keeps wanting to reinstall Jaguar and use it as my main OS, but there were so many problems, which MAY OR MAY NOT have been caused by my nearly defective external FireWire hard drive (I'm really hoping they weren't caused by it, so that I can feel safe knowing that Jaguar isn't QUITE as good as I thought it was--otherwise I'd be spending all day staring at the Jaguar CD, wondering whether I should reinstall it... :) But since there is no upgrade path from Jaguar to the real 10.2, and since moving back to Jaguar would mean--you guessed it--backing up my files to that very iffy external hard drive, I just don't want to risk it again :)

That's too bad. I haven't had many problems at all with it yet. Besides a few quirks with applications like Entourage, and the fact that ASM doesn't install. But, most stuff is really good so far.

Originally posted by devonferns

No, I haven't tried it in Jaguar yet. I'm downloading 4.1b7 right now though.

Oohh, it's a lot better since the last version I had tried. It's very fast too at rendering the pages :D.

IE in 10.2 rocks. It's blazing fast, scrolling is smooth and instant. OW is as slow as in 10.1.5/10.1.4, sadly.

Basically, Jaguar is 'smooth', though. :)

I found OW 4.1b7 to be quite fast, about the same as Chimera for me. I haven't used OW in a long time though, so I can't say that it's faster than it would be in 10.1.4

I like chimera 0.2.7...mostly because of the tabbed browsing but also because it uses quartz. I used to have IE as my main browser but I hated the looks and it's M$. I tried OW but I missed the tabbed browsing so much I switched back to chimera.
I'm running jag. and man is surfing fast...or maybe it's because I got the T3 I've been waiting for and it only costs me $12 a month.:D
(sorry I'm just extatic...someone help me...pleaazzeee)

Just tried IE in 10.2...

What are you guys talking about? It's slow, bloated, crappy and ugly. OmniWeb in 10.2 is a LOT faster...

To load the start page, IE took exactly as long as it did in 10.1.3... I see no difference...?

Back