If 10.1 performance sucks for you...

fabulousteeth

Registered
I have an iBook 2001. The performance of OS X 10.1 sucked until I wiped my drive and did a clean install. Now it's incredible...I didn't know what people were talking about, in terms of speed improvements, but I now very much understand.

Another note: I gave OS X its own 2 GB partition. I don't know if that made a difference, but it's something to try.

Just my two.

Hmm. Sounds like I might try that.

I just finished installing 10.1 (from the disk, not some downloaded copy) on my white ibook and I'm not noticing any real improvements. Windows still drag slowly, omniweb took 13 bounces to load, although that is less than it was before, I think... MSIE seemed to load much faster, but who wants to surf the web with that when you have something pretty and clean like omniweb? :)

and.. yay. you can move the dock to the right and left. I'd rather be able to pin it in the corner. I probably wouldn't do it, but it'd be more useful than moving it.

But if I wipe and do a full reinstall, I have to reinstall apache, PHP, mysql, dreamweaver, and whatever other junk I've put on there.
hmm.

I'll think on it, though.

when you say do a clean install, you mean off of the restore disks, or some other method?

I don't think my performance upswing from 10.0.4 to 10.1 is all that great either - and I'm pretty willing to do anything... :D

If you're going to compile aphache, mysql, & php (as opposed to using the versions installed by X by default), try using fink.

I heartily second the recommendation to do a wipe and clean install. That's what I did, and my 350Mhz iMac rockets in 10.1! :D
From what I've been reading, sounds like the problems a lot of folks are having with 10.1 are being caused by "remnants" of 10.0.x that are left in home directories when you don't do a clean install.

Yes, do a clean install. I have 4 partitions on my 40 gig drive.. one of them had 10.0.4. I upgraded that one to 10.1, and then on one of the others i did a clean install of 9.1, then upgraded that to 9.2.1, then installed 10.0, then the 10.1 update. The difference between the 2 is rather large. On my imac dvse 400, 10.1 is really, really fast.

There's no need to reinstall PHP, 10.1 comes with 4.0.6 (the latest release version). mysql can be installed with a package (no compiling required). The only pain would be installing hte latest greatest apache, which really isnt necessary IMHO, but I know some people just gotta have the latest thing :)

I too have the new iBook. 10.1 was actually pretty nice before the clean install, but after the clean install it actually jump quit a bit.

In regards to apache, mysql and such, I would suggest using fink as well. Under 10.0.4 the entire Fink process took me about a day. I formatted my drive, setup two partitions (OS9.2 and OSX.1), installed the 10.1 dev tools, and ran the new Fink 3.0 binary available at sourceforge.net, and everything was up and running in less than 5 hours. The new fink installer and compiling of my needed packages was actually quicker than installing the system software.

Anybody using Fink 2.6 that is having compiling issues with debianutilities, I would suggest doing the clean install and running with the new 3.0 binary. It resolves all these issues assuming you have the developer tools. Fink is actually much better using the 3.0 installer after a complete reinstall.

By the way a clean install means you format the hard drive and reinstall the entire system. I would suggest burn all your important applications and copying you entire user folder to a disc. If you grab the /Users/username/Library/Preferences folder and drop it over the reinstall you will up and running with eveything the way you like in no time.

HOWTO pop in the 10.1 disk, go to INSTALLER menu and select disk utiility. You will than have the opportunity to format the disk and setup partitions which you will want to do. Pull out the manual that came with 10.1 for futher details.

Manuals here: http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin...071&KCID=3846&dialogId=100635696&sid=12423041!

Jason

Oops, sorry! :eek:
When you're installing from the upgrade CD, at the pane where it asks you to choose a destination disk, check the box that says something like "Wipe disk and format as..." And I suggest HFS+ rather than UFS. There are some oddities about the behavior of UFS disks running OS X, from what I've heard.

Well that's great! I didn't realize 10.1 came with PHP... I could care less about the absolute latest apache, as long as the one on there is compiled with PHP as a module, handles MySQL, and operates well enough for my uses... but I have to have MySQL on there, too... I use it for a website demo machine as well as my favorite toy. :)

OSX with Omniweb makes a great "show the website to clients and make them drool over the display" tool... not to mention that the white ibook makes most of them go into "oooh shiny pretty computer I like he must be smart I give him money" mode.

;)

At this point in the game UFS sucks! I made the mistake of trying that when I installed 10.0.4 (lot of effort!) and 90% of the mac programs (native apps as well as carbon) didnt work or could not find any associated files... UFS is for desperate high-performance server types right now.

I have read a few places that you can't do a clean install from the update CD, because the updater needs an installation of 10.0.x to work? The option was there, but using it left you with a empty HD. I am still waiting for Apple to send me my CDs or Circuit City to get their act together and get some so I can't try it out. Could it be that other people who have multiple partitions can clean install with 10.0 on another partition. Do the updates from retailers have the clean install option disabled to prevent piracy. It be stupid for Apple to have the option there if it screws up your computer, but they could have the installer could verify a 10.0 installation before formatting, but what has everyone else experienced.

I can verify that checking the "Erase this disk and format as..." (or whatever the hell it says) option works. I've used it on two of my systems flawlessly. You just can't initialize the drive before you try to install because the installer looks for 10.0.x on the drive (if it's not there you won't be able to select the drive in the "Select Destination" step.)

you can only do a 'clean install' through and update CD onto a drive that currently has OS X installed on it. This might be necessary if you bogged your system down with a bunch of crap and you didnt want it to be included in the new updated system. Or you want a nice clean hard drive to fill up again :D

Originally posted by cybergoober
I can verify that checking the "Erase this disk and format as..." (or whatever the hell it says) option works. I've used it on two of my systems flawlessly. You just can't initialize the drive before you try to install because the installer looks for 10.0.x on the drive (if it's not there you won't be able to select the drive in the "Select Destination" step.)

Thanks.

Cool, clean install does work better. One interesting I've just noticed that is, with the upgrade (clean 10.0.4, then upgrade to 10.1), I got only 1.7Gb of space left on my 3Gb partition. But, with the "Erase..." option turned on for the clean install, now I have about 2.27Gb of HD space left!! Same applications are installed on both configuration. I wonder how this happened...

it just hit me... are any of you running MacOS 9.2? If so, how did you install that as well?

sorry for the n00b questions you guys...

If you are installing using the free update CDs, you need to have OS 9.1 installed first, because the OS 9.2.1 CD is not bootable, and contains only an update installer.

It would probably be a good idea if you boot to the OS 9.1 CD and then run the 9.2.1 update.

I did a clean install of all of my computers. Of course it rocks on the G4 desktop and Powerbook G4, but it is also usable on a Bondi iMac 233!
Its speed is faster than 10.0.4 ran on the G4's!

Also, in the installer it recommends to install 9.21 before installing Mac OS X 10.1 if you are going to have them on the same partition. This is the method I used, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the deal is or if anyone has had any negatives by installing (or upgrading) OS X first?

Back