IF I clear my cookies, History, cache, download history and saved form info, will....

dave-dave

Registered
IF I clear my cookies, History, cache, download history and saved form info (through the firefox browser), will anyone be able to know where I have been online?

It depends -- who is "anyone"? Someone with great computer knowledge? Someone who is an average home user?

There are other places that that kind of information is stored in -- at your ISP, in your router's log, in your firewall/proxy's log, etc. Sure, for all intents and purposes, clearing that information will make it difficult for any average user to see where you've been, but it's not impossible to recreate that information from other sources outside of your computer.

The short answer is "yes" -- clearing that information will keep most home users from finding out where you've been. The question then becomes: why would you want to hide where you've been?

My wife checks my history and I bought her a present online (a BIG one) for a big suprise party we're throwing.

For that purpose the things you suggest are enough.
Unless she works for your ISP, has put ARD or other remote control program monitorning you, uses parental controls of the system of you, or works for the goverment or would have found a way to control the echelon data. Which probably aren't very likely options though. :)

... and if she had access to the Echelon data she would have know what you were getting her before you did ;)

Back