if you would like to download 10.1...

Hey everyone, Right now I am backed up to 8 pm tomorrow evening. I basically can't use my computer till this is done, so I am going to have to quit making OS 10.1 update available... I was hoping to get someone to mirror me, but no one ever wanted too....

Thanks, and check out www.macidiots.com!

I would be glad to mirror a few people at a time if someone would teach me how to do it. Probably not worth the time though, since there are other people and I'm in England.

Yep, I woke up a bit early to do this download from MacIdiot and his computer isn't even responding. I guess it went to sleep.

I, on the other hand, actually do have 10.1 available for download, and have for some time. FTP is limited to 5 concurrent users, however, since networking called me yesterday to find out why I was using more bandwidth than most buildings (luckily the guy i dealt with was waiting for the 10.1 update himself ;)). Even though logins are limited, I am still going to give out the access info on a request basis to reduce the number of people trying to get in. E-mail me at Macavenger2@mac.com

I can't beleive it. You are in my back yard, so to speak. I'd love to be able to share this with the entire Mac community in Juneau. I've sent an email requesting access.

Thanks a million!:D

Losely speaking, considering that Juneau is over 300 miles (I think) from Fairbanks, even as the crow flies, not to mention that you can't get there from here, except by air, unless you like cross-country treks. Anyway, Now that I am using a FTP server that allows me to limit the number of concurent connections, I think I can safely go ahead and post the login info again. Keep in mind that it may get busy, and you might not be able to get in right away. Good luck, and let me know how it works!

ftp: 137.229.46.229
login: macosx
pass: download

The speed to download 10.1 from 137.229.46.229 was around 325 BYTES per second today as of 11:30 EST. The connection was constantly switching from that speed and "Waiting for Data". When I switched to a different file on the server, the speed increased dramatically. I'm not sure weather you're aware of this, or if the user limit stopped working and you're getting swamped. In either event, thought I'd bring it to your attention. As soon as I get 10.1, I'll be mirroring it on my full T1, for those of you still waiting for it. This should happen soon, as my download from macdiot will be completing in around 7 hours hopefully (pulling around 6.5 - 7k/sec). I'll post again when I have a working image up and available.

Tim
FL US
G4 DP 800/1GB/145GB in Ultra SCSI
Mac OS 10.0.4/9.2.1

Odd. It shouldn't be going that slow. The user limit is working fine, so that's not the problem. My server isn't transferring data at anything near maximum rate, and I had someone on a DSL that said they were getting around 60-70 Kb/s, so not everyone is getting bad speeds. I Frankly don't have a clue as to why you, or anyone else who is, might be getting slow speeds. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though. Just thought I'd mention that to my knowledge, this is not a universal problem.

Anyone know something I can do to speed up my server? I am running ProFTP, and data is currently being transmitted at about 1-2Mb/s, while my connection is capable of up to 10Mb/s. I suppose it is possible that everyone currently on just has a slow connection, but I doubt it...

Well, looks like the speed is great now, after trying it like 10 times and only getting under 1k/sec, this time I logged in and got 55k/sec, and it looks like it's on the rise... I really have no clue why it'd do that, but am just glad it works now. I think I had downloaded a 10.1 image from this server before, but a .dmg file. Did this server used to be hosting that file?

Tim, FL US
tim@timparido.com
G4 DP 800/1GB/145GB in Ultra SCSI
Mac OS 10.0.4/9.2.1

Yes, I used to have the .dmg file on my server, however people had trouble with it (wasn't compatible with OS 9) so I converted it to a .cdr (CD/DVD Mater image) Which works much better. Or at least, I haven't received any complaints about it since then. Perhaps the speed problems just occurred while I was still trying to get the server set up the way I wanted it. I don't know :(

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!!! All the way from Alaska to New York in just about 6 hours at a farily constant 27-30k a sec. Awesome!!! I hope to repay this favor to you and the rest of the Mac Community someday. Just one question, how do you tell exactly what build you are running? Thanks again.

Sam:D :D :D

On 5G64, if you clicked the "Version 10.1" text in the about this mac window, it changes to the build number. I don't know if this is still the case in the retail (not installing it till I have the actual CD), but I don't see why it wouldn't be.

macavenger, you are absolutely correct. I got the CD update from my local computer store, and when you click on 'Version 10.1' in the About this Mac, it changes to 'Build 5G64'. Additionally, when you click on 'Build 5G64', it changes to the serial number of your computer. :D

10.1 is a big improvement! I'm so glad I could obtain the update CD. :)

I'm in England and I got 100+K/s...it only took me about an hour and a half, not sure cause I left though.
Now to find a burner!

Back