iLife '04: Don't waste your money

It has value, but I think it comes down to whether or not you are going to take advantage of that value. Kanecorp, why did you drive all the way out to the Apple store and buy it if you didn't know what you were getting?
There are a lot of new features in there that might be useful, and for the 30 or 40 percent of users who like to play music but have never set up a studio, GarageBand is worth every cent.
I guess it comes back to one thing though. If you go out and spend money without actually finding out what you're buying, then you're bound to end up very upset - even if you are getting a pretty good deal.

I wouldn't say GB is pointless if you own Soundtrack, they're entirely different programs. You can't do multitrack recording with Soundtrack and it doesn't support MIDI. It's more of a loop sequencer for working with video. GB is far more useful in general, I'd have it over Soundtrack any day.

Regardless of GB vs. Soundtrack, the point should be why someone doesn't do a little research on something before buying it, then complainafterward that it's not what he wanted. It's not like he had to buy Life '04 (I'm hoping my is in today).

After watching a show on the iLife package (brief but nice), I was most impressed with the iLife package. As for GarageBand, that is exactly what I am looking for to record my music that I have composed.
As for iPhoto, I have been hoping for an update to this program for a long time since it runs like a dog. I have over 2k pics in my iPhoto. I can not wait to get my hands on this update. I don't use iMovie, iDVD. Just iTunes, iPhoto, and I can definitely see myself spending countless hours on Garageband (as long as my fiancée will let me).

I don't think Steve mentioned it during the Keynote (lost my connection a couple of times) but I'd like to give GarageBand a go in the classroom. A colleague recently showed me how he was using those cheap-o dj programmes in the classroom. They were terrible programmes, tacky and usually sparse on features but the children were able to put together some amazing stuff. The instruments were awful synthesizers and the loops were based on cheesy dance-inspired samples. Yet, put 3/4 children working together and the results were astonishing. I'm practically tone-deaf but even I realised what they could do with GarageBand. I'll definitely buy iLife 04 just to try it in the classroom! Might even serve to inspire one or two to take an interest in music!

A lot of people hate pying money for apps they own already, but they seem to forget that most new macs come with ilife bundled. Anyhows Garageband rocks, as soon as i can get it to install and not crash :) Soundstudio is faster but it still looks like a 9.x app :) There is some nice additions to iDVD like the dvd map and the intro movies ( i got a 6 weks old baby so me dvd creations is about to rocket hehe). iPhoto is such a vast improvement, how we managed to live with the previous version i will never know. imovie is very cool to for making nice transitional effect for me photos.
To be brutally honest, most people enjoy the programs that apple release and couldnt live without them, so when Apple spend a lot of time updating and tweaking them and then ask us to pay for a disk, i feel annoyed that anyone could be argue with $50 dollars for what is essentially 5 apps that allow you to do everything you need toon your mac. Similar apps of this quality would cost you a fortune to buy on a PC.
iLife should be essential buying for every Apple owner.
Long Live Apple and Long Live OSX :)

I am ordering iLife today mainly for iPhoto, Garage Band and iDVD. I am a little dissapointed with the lack of tons of ready to go new iDVD themes and/or more flexibility in editing them, but I can live with it without having to go buy and learn DVD studio. However, the one thing I always was annoyed with in iDVD was editing existing audio tracks/music I have... to play in my iDVD themes - now I can use Garage Band to make those all on my own - loops and/or record my own stuff! I actually have Soundtrack from FCP 4, but I think it will be interesting to have both - what can I say, I LOVE ANY AND ALL NEW SOFTWARE!

I ordered today a 160 GB external Firewire HD to free some room on my iMac for iLife. I'll order iLife just after that.

heh i actually considered buying a new guitar just because of iLife :D

i used to play in highschool and havent played for years, think Garageband looked really nice.

$49 is a bargin if u ask me ::ha::

kanecorp said:
If you gotta have it, download it, worth about 5 bucks.
I'm so pissed i drove all the way out to the apple store this for this s**t.
like, 7 new DVD themes, so minor updates to itunes and iphoto, garageband is a joke...
I'm very mad right now.

Whine-oceros.

I think it would be better for apple just to release garageband with the jampack as a standalone product and offer the rest as a free download included iDVD

just a thought :D

Want to know why they don't do this? Because, in total, iLife takes up about 4 gigabytes of space. Even with compression, that's still something like 3 GB to download for all of iLife. Nobody but those with the fastest university or business pipelines would take the time to download all of that.

GB is the big file. The others are manageable and available on CD. I'm just wondering when JamPack 2 will come out.

Well they could just start to include iLife with 10.4, then there will be no big download, only updates :p

iDVD is pretty big, too, though. Those themes (and whatever else) take up quite a bit of space. It's those two, basically. I guess Apple figured that with 2 non-downloadable apps in iLife instead of just 1, they may as well make iPhoto & iMovie non-downloadable as well.

You know, in this instant gratification based world of ours, isn't it nice to wait a few days for something in the mail these days!

:mad: iLife '04 deserves every single dollar or euro or whatever! :mad:

2 hours of video with iDVD? Make music THAT easy with GarageBand? Manage thousands of photos without breaking a sweat? DV edit like a Pro without his/her Pro troubles?

Come on! iLife '04 is like Office but for the rest of our life BUT... Minus the stupidity of Office and not to mention it's costs! :rolleyes: :p

:D :)

hulkaros said:
Come on! iLife '04 is like Office but for the rest of our life BUT... Minus the stupidity of Office and not to mention it's costs! :rolleyes:

That's a really neat way of thinking about it. iLife apps are much much more "seamlessly integrated" than Office apps. A movie is a movie, a picture is a picture, a song is a song... and they all get passed around between the apps like a dream. In comparison we have a Word table then a Excel sheet - not quite the same thing, but close enough yet with completely different rules and controls. I could go on, but I wont. The term "seamless integration" is perhaps the biggest BS line in all of IT, no thanks to Microsoft. Still, imagine if Office apps worked together like iApps? Imagining it is as close as it will get - I mean they have had almost ten years to get it right.

Back