iLife '05 Warning

perfessor101

Registered
I just got the following eMail from Formac. Fortunately my copy of iLife '05 was delayed.

Formac said:
Dear Formac Studio customer,

it has come to our attention that Apple's iMovie 5 has problems with DV devices. This is a general issue with DV devices and not specific to the Studio. We strongly recommend not to upgrade to iMovie 5 yet, as we cannot guarantee the functionality of your Studio under these circumstances. We have informed Apple about this issue and hope to have a solution soon.

Best regards,

Your Formac support team

iLife 05 has some serious bugs. iPhoto's performance reminds me of iPhoto from a couple of years ago and iMovie HD has major problems with importing and pass-thru mode. My video camera won't work with it now in pass-thru mode to import video from my VCR.

So hopefully, an update is coming. I just wish Apple would fix these problems before they take my money.

My general rule is to never get anything from Apple the second it comes out. Give it a couple of weeks to let some of the bugs get worked out.

That's not only good advice for Apple products, either.

On the other hand, if NOBODY got the first version, there'd never be a 1.1 version...

no problems with inlife here. iPhoto is actually a lot faster (though it took forever to upgrade my 7000 photos. about a hour). Be warned that they say on macosxhints.com that there might be a bug concerning old albums. it didnt effect me.

iMovie has been giving me lots of problems (probably my worse experience with anything Apple). It seems to have a mind of it's own... works one minute, than does something completely different or just crashes. It's a very poor product from what I've dealt with this week. iMovie 4 had plenty of quirks and issues of it's own, but it seemed much more stable.

iDVD has been giving me white flashes on the screen at the beginning of each song when I import an iMovie movie. If I save the iMovie movie as a Quicktime DV first, then it works OK. Very time-consuming.

I was hoping that iPhoto's new folders would be reflected in the Finder as well, but I guess that was just wishful thinking, the iPhoto database structure still bugs me, but I guess I don't have to use it. :)

I definitely feel like I wasted $80. If the problems do get resolved, there are plenty of worthwhile new features (like iDVD natively supporting disk images) that might all work at some point.

I think I'll pass on iWork for now... I don't trust it. :)

brianleahy said:
Strangely, when I brought up iPhoto just now, it worked fine. Thrashing seemed to be over.

Go figure.

I seem to have some problems with it, especially with the Trash when something is in there... Really lags in performance. Then when you get over 10,000-15,000 or more files it seems to get chunky as well I think. BUT, the features are really nice as I can manage clipart easily now with iPhoto since the subfolder categorization additions.

Well, iPhoto 5 behaves perfectly well here. Much better than iPhoto 4, too. Subfolders etc.: Great release. Dunno about the DV issues, as I don't DVate.

JPigford said:
My general rule is to never get anything from Apple the second it comes out. Give it a couple of weeks to let some of the bugs get worked out.
My rule has always been get it the day it is released if at all possible. So far it has always worked out just fine for me. The glitch with DV devices not withstanding, I am highly satisfied with everything else in iLife '05 and particularly with iPhoto. Garageband may even turn me into a would be musician, but I doubt it.

I am equally pleased with iWork '05. Keynote 2 alone is worth the price especially now that it can export Flash files.

For those of you who use iMovie and have been putting off upgrading...

iMovie HD Update 5.0.1 - iMovie HD 5.0.1 addresses issues related to video and audio synchronization for DV projects and other minor issues.

I don't use iMovie, but hopefully this is what ya'll need.

iPhoto5 is very slow on my 17in powerbook. When I try to scroll through my 500 pictures it crawls and I get the spinning beach ball of death. It finally seems to catch up but I hope they fix it. I like how it is layed out. My smart folders seem to be working fine.

calliex

callieX said:
iPhoto5 is very slow on my 17in powerbook. When I try to scroll through my 500 pictures it crawls and I get the spinning beach ball of death. It finally seems to catch up but I hope they fix it. I like how it is layed out. My smart folders seem to be working fine. calliex
iPhoto 5 is much faster than iPhoto 4 for me and I have about three times as many images as you have. The first time iPhoto 5 launched took a while to convert the libraries to the new format, but after that is has been very fast. Others I have talked to have had a similar experience. I did hear one complaint about speed from a user with some 12,000 to 15,000 photos.
  • How much RAM do you have?
  • What is the condition of your hard drive (free space, disk repair status, how badly fragmented, etc.)?
  • Have your repaired permissions since the install?
  • Are you by any chance running Norton AntiVirus?
Like you, I really like the new UI and it seems some of the features are working better, but that is very subjective.

Back