iLife on Mac os 10.3 for emac's

Flomac

Registered
So I bought Panther from Macsales.com for $49. When I got it I noticed that it said emac on the sticker. I installed it on my dual mirror door g4 and everything is fine. But I noticed that programs like garageband and iDvd didnt get installed. I thought that panther brought all these programs but I guess not. :( Do I need to buy iLife to get these products? Does the eMac versions not have it? Many thanks for your help.

Panther is just the operating system and does not include iLife, which is a separate application suite. You can get iLife from Apple directly for 49 USD. New Macs come with iLife, but that doesn't make it part of the OS.

Btw.: If that really was an eMac-included version of Panther, you shouldn't have been able to buy it. The license is for the eMac it originally came with - and the seller shouldn't have sold it. Basically, you're without Panther license for your G4 even now.

Really? That sucks (about the whole emac thing). I didnt think it mattered as long as it was a legit disc and not used. Hmm, I guess im stuck for now. Thanks.

Does anybody know what the differences are between the eMac panther version and the Power Mac version, if any?

you said iDVD and garageband didn't install? that is something to do with dvd compatibility - those are programs that only install with the full dvd install of iLife. with panther, i wouldn't have thought here be any difference to the actual OS

When I got my emac Ilife and everything else all installed from one disc? The grey emac disc 1 of 2. Coinsidently I don't remember it ever asking me to insert disc 2 does anyone know what this other disc is for?

iDVD does not install unless you have an Apple-supported DVD burner in your system. iDVD can be manually installed, but the standard install will not if the hardware does not support it.

Disk 3 has the other stuff - optional installs like older Epson printer drivers, and X11
HERE'S an article that explains what is on the various disks on a Panther install set.

I only got 2 discs? Is it different in the UK or am I just missing a cd? They actually say on them 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 so I assumed there was only 2?

I ordered mine from www.macsales.com. They sent me an eMac US version of panther. It only had two discs. Oh and I dont have iLife, I thought it would come with panther already. All I have is iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie.

Back