I'm really sad! - the apple store has been taken down

Swiss store down aswell but not the US one ?!

Server update rather than hardware ?

iBooks update is quite "disappointing":
- more Ram
- a bit higher clock speed
- bluetooth integrated
- Scrolling TrackPad
- Sudden Motion Sensor

Expected Intel CPU no way.. Its too early stage to have Intel on mac yet. I am sure they will show off Intel on Mac during MacWorld Expo in SF on Jan.

Its seems to me the iBook updates seem more like Apple is "merging" the laptop line, every apple portable comes with bluetooth now something only the powerbook's came with, the only difference is the video card.

RGrphc2 said:
Its seems to me the iBook updates seem more like Apple is "merging" the laptop line, every apple portable comes with bluetooth now something only the powerbook's came with, the only difference is the video card.
...and the PCMCIA slot... and the FireWire 800 port... and the audio-in port... and the gigabit ethernet port... and the higher-quality screen... the list goes on!

There are a TON of differences between even the iBook and the PowerBook 12" -- I highly doubt Apple will merge the two lines.

a not all that related question, but why do they use the old font for "the store is down" message?

AFAIK the 12" PowerBook lacks the PC-Card slot. Does it lack the sound input, too? At least at the beginning, those two shared basically the whole motherboard... And even if there _are_ differences, for users out there the iBook is certainly to be considered...

Well, there's the style, of course. ;) ... I guess I'd want Apple to replace the 12" PB with something that earns the "PowerBook" name. 13" widescreen, illuminated keyboard, PC Card slot, two memory slots come to mind. I think the difference to the iBook must be bigger for the price gap...

Yea I always had a soft spot for powerbooks, loved my tibook and wouldn't be replacing it only for the broken hinge. I think I'll go for a low end ibook this time. It's fast enough for my needs, small enough to lug around and above all it's durable. I think the current low end ibook is over twice as fast as my old powerbook! Current price of 12" powerbook is €1456, low-end ibook is €996 (education discounts for both) The differences don't add up to €460 (at least not for my needs).

What I want to know is, will that graphics card and RAM run World of Warcraft with all the options turned down! ;)

Back