I'm sorry

FaRuvius

Hardest Flusher
I must apologize for my recent blindness.

I recently posted a thread entitled "The sad state of Mac upgradability". You can read the thread here:http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13009

It is now, a week later, and I have just been through hell and back.

The point of my previous thread was that I was able to upgrade my aging PC for less than $350. New processor, new motherboard. My cost of upgrading has ended up being significantly more.

A week after I started, I finally have a stable PC. Here is a list of all the fun things I had to play with:

3 OS's : windows 98, windows 98 SE, and windows XP.
3 different harddrives
A new case
3 different NIC's
Too much RAM
2 floppy drives
2 video cards.

I couldn't use my old case, because the motherboard didn't like the power supply. Solution? Buy a new case.

Neither windows 98 nor windows 98SE liked my 1.2 GB of ram. XP didn't like it either until I switched the slots they were in. Solution? Install windows with 256 MB of ram on the motherboard.

98 or 98SE had the proper drivers for any of my NIC's. Everytime windows would "find" my new hardware, it would request drivers from my win98 CD. of course the drivers weren't on the cd. go figure. Installing the drivers from the manufacturer provided disk did nothing to end Windows requesting specific ones from the windows CD.

It took about 12 different times formatting and reformatting 3 different hard disks to find one that windows would work with. Final solution? New Harddrive.

Window 98 refused to recognize my floppy drives, even though i could access and use it through DOS. Final solution? Only XP would recognize it.

I decided to install windows XP to hopefully rid myself of 98 wierdness. The XP install process was a nightmare. It would go through all the proper procedures, start installing, and then black screen. Did this about 10 times. Then I said, maybe it is installing, and just not showing anything on the screen. Left it on overnight, still black screen. I resorted to looking in newsgroups. Do a search on "windows XP install black screen" on google's usenet archive. You will get about 5 billion hits. It seems that Windows XP Install and geforce2 video cards are incompatible. Funny, Windows XP is incompatible with only the most popular video card in the market. Way to go, M$. The solution? Install with any NON GEFORCE2 card. After install, just replace the geforce2, and it will work flawlessly.

So in the end, this is what it cost me to "upgrade" my PC:

new proc and motherboard: $316
new atx case: $130
new 17gb HD: $80
new NIC: $10
windows XP: $115
Hours spent obtaining a stable system: 25+

Total cost: $600 + 25 hours of my time.

The additional cost of a Mac is well worth not having to deal with the pain that is PC hardware maintenance.

I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry.

I had forgotten the joy of having computers "just work". Without requiring blood, sweat, and tears.

Bravo Apple for removing from the Mac everything that makes me hate computers.

Go on and say "I told you so". I'll be bowing my head in shame.

FaRuvius

then there are still people that say that it´s worth it because its so fun to play with system.
My friend uses to say that Pc users like jerking off with the computer.
Ok. If your living with your mum and your time dosent cost any it could maybe be worth it but if your time costs money....

And then on top of all that, you have to run Windows instead of OSX.

I have a friend who came to the conclusion that PCs are for people who like to fix things. I don't think that statement could be much more accurate.

I know that someone on these forums had the tagline, "Computers are like air conditioners: they stop working when you open Windows."

I'd say that's pretty accurate. :D

No, I just remember the ones I like the best. :)

How about this: There's Windows CE, Windows ME, Windows NT, and Windows XP. Put them all together and you get:

Windows CEMENT XP

Catch phrase: "As hard as a rock and as dumb as a brick."

:D

Go here for a picture!:

http://www.vidbay.com/pics/windowscement.htm

Hehehe I love that one. I still think my phrase in my sig takes the cake, though.

Originally posted by simX
I know that someone on these forums had the tagline, "Computers are like air conditioners: they stop working when you open Windows."

Yup, and I'm the someone. That was my signature when I first came here...like yours better though.

Originally posted by FaRuvius
I must apologize for my recent blindness...
I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry.

I had forgotten the joy of having computers "just work". Without requiring blood, sweat, and tears.

Bravo Apple for removing from the Mac everything that makes me hate computers.

Go on and say "I told you so". I'll be bowing my head in shame.

FaRuvius

I for one will not be saying that FaRuvius...every one is allowed to have opinions and you had yours. It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong and to learn from his mistakes...no one here is perfect and we've all stuck our foot in our mouth...don't worry about a thing...I give you credit for even posting this thread...after all you could have just kept this fiasco a secret and no one would have been the wiser...bravo amigo :)

FaRuvius:

Wow, you put a lot of time into that. Just imagine how much this would have cost if you didn't know what you were doing and you had to hire a professional. CHIC-CHING!!! Talk about burning a hole in your pocket/wallet. You're best bet to get the most life from a Macintosh is: BUY THE BEST/FASTEST COMPUTER APPLE MAKES AND ENJOY IT FOR A LONG TIME. Yes, it costs a little more, but you don't have to have a Ph.D. in computer hardware to deal with the metric ass-load of third party drivers just to get the system to run. There are great advantages to using Apple's "closed" architecture - you are pretty much guarenteed that everything will work flawlessly with little or no hassle. There comes a point in your life when your time and money are better spent on other activities.

...hmmm... DAMN! as Y'all know.. i am PC User, dressed as a Mac User @ this "early" stage! ... and i totally understand why u'd wanna Diss m$, Windows, and PC's in general... Hey, all windows user's like 2 do the same 2 Apple...!

But for Some1, stuck in the Middle, such as myself ... it's awkward! ... i appreciate, also ... that Windows can be a nightmare, for some Peeps, here... whether it be day 2 day work, or Installing! ... But as Y'all know... Driver Support is a Massive Issue! .. and, although you did quote on having a GF2, which must be one of the mostly used cards, 2day... it kinda made a far worse dictation, of M$'s Support. After all... i am ONLY 17 ... But, have installed Windows XP, many times on Many Breed's of GF2's ... From bargain GF2 mx 32mb SDR .... 2 the 64MB GF2 Ultra! (Wave's Goodbye 2 her! :p) ... and i just had 2 say that, i NEVER Had a problem with it! ... i am not saying u're lying about u're "ordeal" in any way... i just wanted 2 expand every1's views, and give M$ some credit, every1 will admit, they deserve some! ;) ... PLZ Don't mention Stealing (again!) LOL!

DAMN, now i sound like a M$ rep or something, just wanna re-emphasize ... i am swayed 2wards apple already! ... But, i Still have Maximum respect for M$! ...

And i guess i am Done! ... as i sed, just wanted 2 Shake this Thread up, with another user's experience's ... with the arch enemies Software!

thanks!

NeYo

I may have to cast my lot with NeYo on this one. I found installing drivers with Windows XPectorant to be amazingly easier than with that 98SE thing. Of course, this is AFTER disabling onboard USB and audio (before installing) because the dang thing will crash during the install if USB or audio were enabled. But I have to say that M$ has gotten better (in my experience, anyway) in making driver installation easier. Of course, better is relative. zero multiplied with anything is still zero. ???

ok, i know i am notorius for lack of capital letters and leaving pronouns off of the beginnings of sentences but why is it that so many pc users type in the style that Neyo just used? I cannot tolerate reading such a long post in that style so i have no idea what he said except that he is stuck in the middle.

I mean, practically no mac users ever type like that. but people who primarily use pc's who visit here seem to only type that way! Is it something about windows' file names or are their keyboards really so hard to use or do only 4 fingers work?

seriously, this perplexs me. :confused:

neyo , i'm sure my opinion doesn't mean squat to you, but i really find it tiring to attempt to read your posts when you type like that.

I've been reading these forums long enough to know that Ed's a nice guy, and that he's pretty smart, to boot. So, I would have to offer the hypothesis that he stubbed his toe, or had an argument with a close friend, or forgot to put the gas cap back on his car before speeding off, before he typed that last post, because he must have been in a black mood ;-)

It seems obvious to me, as a user of all kinds of computers for many years, that literacy and typography do not correlate in any statistically significant way with the sort of computer you use. For example, I type like this, am a graduate student, and am actually pretty smart in some ways, and I was born a PC user, and still use them every day (though, now I use my tiBook every day, too!).

Notably, one will notice that sometimes typography and spelling *do* correlate with being from a foreign country -- I have often noted that people who come from Asia often have a harder time with Roman/Latin-based typography, and tend to abbreviate out of necessity.

So I hope Neyo isn't taken too far aback by Ed's PC tirade -- I think maybe he just ate too much spicy food and was having a little heartburn when he wrote that. ;)

No offense, Neyo, but I can't read posts like that either. It's really hard to actually read the whole thing when there are a bunch of periods and abbreviations in the post. I'm not going to correlate this kind of writing with PC users, but it also does perplex me as to why people write like this instead of in normal sentences, and unabbreviated words. Personally, I can read through a post littered with spelling errors than one with abbreviations and lots of periods.

Like I said, no offense... I'm just wondering why you type that way, Neyo.

Zero Altitude - have you ever considered politics?:p Seriously, thanks for the kind words as well as the criticism. the pizza and heartburn came after i posted that so it must have been something else;)

I certainly did not mean it as a character attack on Neyo or pc users in general. I like Neyo, which is why i would bother saying anything here. I wanted to know what he was saying. But not at the cost of developing a headache and sore eyes. It literally hurts me to try and read that style. I know I am middle aged and can be an old fart and maybe Neyo doesn't care if I read his posts or not.

I really have never known any mac users who type in that style. The only people i have ever encountered who use it are pc users. And I don't think they are all asians. I don't just see this here, i see it in other forums, on web sites, in emails, etc. and i am genuinely confused as to where it comes from and why people do it? It is harder to read than a real foreign language (which it is to me).

so let me try to put this a little more tactfully - Neyo (or anyone else who types in that style), why do you type in that style? Is there a reason or do you just think it is cool? It is keeping me from being able to successfully communicate with you.

oh, and Faruvius - my deepest sympathies to you and your wallet:( That was very insensitive of me not to have said that in my first post.

Originally posted by ~~NeYo~~
...hmmm... the !"==@ for GF2 E=MC2 the XP windows M$ I couldn't agree more. When u ...; take into c0nsider...ation XP XP XP much eas1er than '95 ... ... ... ASCII effort to< the ;@ints@llaton; of all this M1cor$oft software. The fact..of being all of those little bits of fluff that you just can't get at: **EVEN WITH A CUTIP**

thanks!

NeYo
Yeah, that's just what I was thinking... LOL

Bernie :eek:)

Well...
my style is unique ... i'm told so, many times! I have 2 Disagree, in that most PC user's don't write like me! ... No1 Does! ... it's Mos Def, unique! ... i feel my style TOTALLY emphasize's my mood... and Show's life, Soul and Energy 2 my character! ... i know it sounds kinda Crazy, and Whack ... But its how i am! ... i am always Vibrant and happy...! i didn't decide 2 begin writing in this fashion, it just kinda happened, and its Cool ... i am sure u're aware, its not B'cus i am a dumb ass who cannot use proper Eng, i am far from a dumb ass (i can use WINDOWS after all!!! :p)

I'm Sorry if u guys find it hard, but a lot of ppl complement the "style" for which i write in, and that it deffo stands me out, from other peeps! ... And i like 2 be Different (no pun intended! ... Sorry Apple!)

No Offense, but i feel anyone can write in a normal fashion, and make intelligent responses, however, 2 do more than that, is more difficult! ...

I dunno how many of ya, are Eng?! ...Maybe it's an Eng thing?!

u guys'll have 2 get used 2 NeYo, tha Unique Peep on tha Board! ... Come on, i'm not that bad, outta all the peeps here?! i add another Dimension 2 guys!

:p

NeYo

(PS, i don't intend on offending anyone, much like u guys didn't wanna offend me! ! ;) )

Actually, I'm a programmer and a grad student in Philosophy. So any ability I have to avoid ticking people off and belittling them is purely accidental. ;-)

Sometimes, I have noticed that kids (and yes, scr1p7 k1dd33z) often type oddly. I think maybe many feel as Neyo does, and they type in a different way just... to for the sake of doing so.

I had a friend once who didn't use capital letters -- she had some clever reason that was a pun on capitalism, but I honestly don't remember anymore why.

So, yeah. Have a nice day, and REMEMBER TO VOTE! :)

Neyo -it has been clear to me that you are very intelligent and a nice guy on top of that. but to be honest, that writing style does not reflect that. and since you brought it up, yes your style is slightly unique - it is the absolute most difficult version of numbers & symbols for words, phonetic mispellings and inappropriate use of periods, caps and abbreviations that i have ever run across! and the only reason you do it is to be cool?:rolleyes: (and yes there are plenty of others who use forms of chatroom symbol talk - ManicDvln was one)

well, i admit it is very 'street' and should be really impressive in certain arenas with certain people who view the world in a certain way. But this forum has a very diverse cross section of people. you are certainly restricting your abilities by using it here. but that choice is up to you.

I don't know what an "eng" is so i can't answer that. I do wonder how people who have trouble with english must deal with your posts? they can't even use a dictionary to translate you! sometimes there are reasons we have conventions in language;)

to go back to the idea that you are both an intelligent and nice guy, i would point out that this style of writing seems out of place for you. it presents you as being a street kid with no respect for anything but yourself. That hardly seems like the real you.:)

Back