iMAC 1.25 and DI-524

Billie Bob

Registered
I just bought an iMAC and can't seem to get it connected to the DI-524 wireless router.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Billie

I always reset the router before setting up a new network. You never know what settings were set before eventhough it's brand new. Then test the network access using ethernet cables. Onces everything seems to work try your wireless connection. D-link routers mostly have the ip 192.168.0.1
Open your web browser and type in this ip. You will hopefully enter the webinterface of your browser where you can adjust all settings.

I installed the DI-524 via the browser, using all the defaults. Only inputs were the password change. It is hard wired into my PC, and my intention is to us the Airport wireless card built into the iMAC.
Using 192.168.0.1 allows me to configure it, and every from the PC side works. The iMAC just can't find it.

Is there anything more specific you need to know?

Thanks,

Billie Bob

Sorry for asking such questions:
did you turn on your airport card? Do you get any signal? If not use your pc to enter the dlink webinterface and check your wireless lan settings. Important things: WEP or WPA should be off. And also check the log file from your router to see, if there was an attempt of your iMac to connect to the router.

The Airport card is on, and there seems to be good signal strength. When I did the D-Link setup I did not select encryption.

You got signal reception? Then everything seems to be fine. When you open the Terminal and type 'ping 192.168.0.1' do you get any packet-losses?
Is dhcp active on your router? Is your internet connection setup correctly / is it possible for your pc to get online? If so, then keep the network settings on your mac on automatic.

Thanks Zammy-Sam, when I go home at noon I will check all the settings again and apply the suggestions. This just pissed me off because it should be so easy.

BB

ok.. i have the same router the di-524. mac mini, 1.42 80gb HD.

i'm hard wired in, and it works fine... but i've been told that if i forward the ports on it i can get faster DL speeds thru the bittorrent clients.

i havent tried the ip addresses that have been posted... i'll check those out when i get home.

just wanted to see if there was any other extra things i would need to do

Back