iMac 24", 2 GB, 7600 review

I love the Mac Pro, sadly dont have any (waaay out of my budget) but I got a MacBook, so... can't complain. How is it anyway? Does it work really fast?
I only saw them at apple.com and one in a store, but it was without display and turned off. -sigh-

I've been waiting to hear some feedback on the 24". Congrats! I used to have an iMac G5 and just loved the unit. Super quiet, ran cool and handled even complex tasks. Of course, the Intel iMac, with the dual core chips just took that a step further! :)

I just received my new Intel baby as well. Just got the Quad 3GHz MacPro with x1900 GPU. I'm happy to write in my thoughts on it, if y'all are interested. I can compare it to the Core Duo Mac Mini, MacBook and MacBook Pro even, if you all are interested. I've been pretty happy with the Intel transition, if you hadn't noticed! :)

Michael

Oh yes, just do it. User's reviews are always interesting for new machines.

Cool. I'm happy to add in whatever feedback I can. Like I said, I have four different dual core Intel machines here, so I'm happy to provide any info I can!

I did make some changes to my Mac Pro config. I added a Raptor 10k RPM 150GB HD as the primary disk. I had a 160GB SATA drive that I put in for any sort of dual booting I may want and then moved the new 500GB to be media storage. Next time I open it up, I have a Fibre Channel card which will link it into an Xserve RAID for additional storage and disk I/O.

As for speed, it boots incredibly fast. I mean, 10 seconds type fast on 10.4.7. When I get the MPEG2 Apple software installed, I can give you guys some info on mpeg2 transport stream conversions and so forth, which can really tax out a CPU. :)

Michael

As for speed, it boots incredibly fast. I mean, 10 seconds type fast on 10.4.7. When I get the MPEG2 Apple software installed, I can give you guys some info on mpeg2 transport stream conversions and so forth, which can really tax out a CPU. :)
Michael

If you want benchmarks on everything that the new Macs vs older Macs can do with every possible part then look at BareFeats.

Yes, but if you use older machines that have had their system software and apps used as well as their harddrive(s) filled over a period of several months, you won't get the same performance. You should use a minimal system installation on both Macs with only the apps to be tested installed and the same demo files. It's a sad truth that your Mac's going to feel slower over time for various reasons. ;)

Back