iMac 350 jump to OS X Panther. HOW TO DO!?

KekoKun

Registered
I just bought this imac 350 yeterday, I;m new to mac and willing to learn as muchs as i can about them and to start with, I'd like to install OS X on it. I put a total of 512MB f RAM into it but it still has the 7GB HD, and i want put in a 120GB one. So is anyone willing to help me with this stuff? Any tips for a Mac noob are also welcome, and once i'm done with this, i would also like to hook up this mac to my windows network. Replies ASAP PLEASE~ I'm dying to have this baby running like new (btw i know 350mhz is not that much but it is a beginning ^^u)

You're incredibly impatient, and that won't help you much - both on this forum *AND* while trying to figure out a new system.

If you want to put a 120 GB drive into it: Do so. Then, when that's done, you'll have to buy the right version of OS X for the machine. I'd say Panther (Mac OS X 10.3.x) would be good. You can update that system for free to 10.3.9, and all current software should still run well on that.

Since you probably don't need any of the software already installed on that Mac, you can do a clean installation, which is the best way to go about this, anyway.

Yes i know about the impatient issue ^^u but oh well, thanks for the time to reply anyway, i already have the Panther OS, but i had read something about needing os 9.0 to be able to run OS X on an imac 350, and also, i think i also need to the a firmware update, but when done downloading the update it is a binary file wich for some reason i can't run, thanks for the help in advance~

You'd need StuffIt Expander to expand that .bin file, I guess... You don't need OS 9 to run OS X, however you might need a newer version of this classic OS in order to run it as the Classic environment. However: I'd just forget about that and simply turn to OS X.

And yes, the firmware update is important. Else you might kill the machine by installing OS X.

yes, i will need 9.1 because i dont have the 4.1.9 firmware, and im running on 9.0.4, also, the update from apple is a binary too, and i need the stuffit app to open it, but after looking and supossedly finding a stuffit for mac os 9.0.4 whent i try to open i get a message about not being able to open because it cant find the app to do so, i'vew tried with, an .hqx and a .sit, any suggestions?

OS 9 does not rely on file name extensions, so installing StuffIt will not make your bin file double-clickable. Instead, drag the file onto StuffIt Expander's icon.

Is a .sit or .hqx executable? are this the installers? because icant make this files run so i can install the stuffit app

The firmware update for the iMac (if not upgraded) needs OS 9.1 - 9.0.4 won't do it - and you can't install the update when booted to OS X.

KekoKun said:
Is a .sit or .hqx executable? are this the installers? because icant make this files run so i can install the stuffit app
Both of those are compressed archives. You...er, need StuffIt to open them. Yes, you need StuffIt to install StuffIt. Go figure. :eek: StuffIt Expander has been a standard part of Mac OS installations since OS 8, which makes this a little less paradoxical. If you have your OS 9 CD, you should be able to get it off of there (I hope that won't require doing a whole system installation, but I'm not quite sure).

The other option would be to expand the file on another system and then take it to your iMac on a disc.

IIRC, StuffIt Expander is in the "Extras" folder on the OS 9 installation disk. So no installation should be necessary.

Thanks for the help, did the update to 9.1 already, installed new firmware and was about to install the OS X but the cd 1 is scratched >> ill get it with a friend who has it, from an ibook, will dthis one work? hope so... and also, the 120GB HD wont work, neither on a windows pc, i think it was wrongly partitioned or something like that, know any good app for recovering HD like this?

Disk Utility. Start up with the first OS X installation CD* and find it in the Apple menu.

*If that friend's iBook came with the same version of OS X, it could or could not work, you'd have to try. If it came with a _newer_ version, it'd be illegal. AFAIK if it's Panther that the iBook came with, you should have no problem installing it on your hardware.

Back