iMac DV doesn't detect 3rd party ram :((

pacolov

Registered
hey, folks.

got unfortunately a major problem with my mac: last week i bouhgt 256MB PC133 CL2 Ram (Infineon Chips, 1 Dimm) from my retailer and it doesn't work :(
peoples told me, there are several problems regarding the imac dv (400mhz slot-loading) and 3rd party ram, but i was so curious about my better performace with 2-2-2 latency timigs that i didn't care about that - d'oh.
as far as i can remember i did a firmware update in june. i don't know how to figure out my firmware version, so i can't provide it to you, but is it true that older firmware runs better with such ram or should i upgrade to the newest firmware available?
is it possible to downgrade the firmware?

thanx,
pacolov

pacolov said:
hey, folks.

got unfortunately a major problem with my mac: last week i bouhgt 256MB PC133 CL2 Ram (Infineon Chips, 1 Dimm) from my retailer and it doesn't work :(
peoples told me, there are several problems regarding the imac dv (400mhz slot-loading) and 3rd party ram, but i was so curious about my better performace with 2-2-2 latency timigs that i didn't care about that - d'oh.
as far as i can remember i did a firmware update in june. i don't know how to figure out my firmware version, so i can't provide it to you, but is it true that older firmware runs better with such ram or should i upgrade to the newest firmware available?
is it possible to downgrade the firmware?

thanx,
pacolov
Pacolov,

The iMac 400 can only use PC100 SDRAM 's. PC133 WONT WORK. You can put upto 1GB of RAM in it whilst Apple says 512 MB max.

Press the 'Reset' switch on the logic board after you install RAM.

Macwhiz

macwhiz said:
Pacolov,

The iMac 400 can only use PC100 SDRAM 's. PC133 WONT WORK. You can put upto 1GB of RAM in it whilst Apple says 512 MB max.

Press the 'Reset' switch on the logic board after you install RAM.

Macwhiz
I am not sure about the iMac 400, but if it is running at 100Mhz fsb, it should also accept PC133 ram. If it is running at 66Mhz fsb, then macwhiz is right, but this I kinda doubt..
However, I think Infineon is a very good brand so no one could blame it on bad memory.
Did you try to exchange the memory? Maybe it's simply damaged

PC133 RAM is backwards-compatible. It'll just run at PC100 instead of PC133.

First, make sure the RAM is fully seated - pull it out and push it in again, firmly.

Then, hold down Command-Option-O-F on restart (Open Firmware prompt)
Type:
Reset-NVRAM (hit return)
Reset-all (hit return)
mac-boot

If it still doesn't see it, you might have a defective chip.

GraphicUmp said:
PC133 RAM is backwards-compatible. It'll just run at PC100 instead of PC133.

Correction: Most PC133 RAM is backwards-compatible. If you got it super-cheap somewhere, it may not be up to spec, meaning it may not have the EEPROM settings for PC100 operation.

I would contact the manufacturer/reseller where you got the RAM from and explain that their chip isn't working -- they should replace it. If the replacement doesn't work, return it for a refund and get some RAM from http://www.crucial.com.

Back