iMac G3 333Mhz Does not recognize burned Tiger install CD 1 as bootable.

Sniper257

Registered
Now before anyone asks YES it is a burned image I downloaded BUT I do own a retail DVD copy (for this mac not another) so I'm not *stealing*. Anyway, I'm trying to burn the .dmg file on windows and have been successful so far in every way other than its bootability. XPostFacto recognizes it but says it's unbootable, however my Panther and Jaguar CD's are recognized just fine as bootable. If anyone has a fix for this or a different file i could download please help.

You're only licensed to use the version of OS X that came with that Mac....I doubt that version was either Panther or Tiger. So no, you're not licensed for Tiger and yes, you are doing it illegally. Board rules come into play here for sure.

The solution for you? Purchase a legal retail version of Panther (or even Tiger if you upgrade the RAM enough).

http://lowendmac.com/deals/best-mac-os-x-prices.html
http://lowendmac.com/deals/best-mac-os-x-tiger-prices.html

Mods, please close this thread.

Last edited:
An iMac that old won't recognize burned cd's of any kind, bootable or not, at least all 3 that I owned wouldn't.

An iMac that old won't recognize burned cd's of any kind, bootable or not, at least all 3 that I owned wouldn't.

This is not true, as I've burned Linux/ppc distributions to CD and booted from them without any problems. He's trying to take a downloaded DVD image and span it across a set of CDs. It won't work, legal or not.

Again, board rules apply with regards to this discussion.

It is a purchased retail Tiger DVD. Not burned. The only things burned are the Tiger CD set which is no longer available from Apple.

NO PIRACY IS GOING ON IN THIS SITUATION.

Yeah... :p
Anyway, I found a different image that stated bootable, and have tried to use it instead and XPostFacto decided it didn't want to work. Every time I try it says something about my system identifier not starting with iMac and then I have to boot from my RETAIL OS9 disc to get it back running.

Taking this in a different direction - the 333MHz iMac does not readily support installing Tiger. The easiest way to Tiger, is to remove the hard drive, put it in a Mac that better supports the install. It's handy to have a spare G4 tower around, eh? Install 10.4, set it up to make sure it's a good booting system - and transplant back into the old iMac. Some folks will say there will be a problem with platform drivers, but that's not been my experience. I did this last year to setup a lab of old iMacs. It gets a little messy while moving the drives around, but you end up with a system that runs Tiger just fine (well, a little slow), but Panther is probably a better fit to the processor.
I had one running Tiger with 96 MB of RAM (creepy slow), but 256MB is absolute minimum for any kind of usability. Max at 512, if you can find RAM that works on the old systems.

No, you won't be able to do that sort of software install for an older iMac, by using the MacBook. The MacBook won't allow you to install to a hard drive that can't boot the MacBook, plus the Intel code that would be installed won't let the old iMac boot, so you would lose several ways. Won't work...

Back