iMac G5 Airport, Hard Drive & RAM upgrades

CharlieJ

R.I.P bobw
Hi guys,

I'm looking to replace a few bits in my iMac.
Just to verify - what airport card, hard drive and ram do I need for my iMac G5??

Charlie

Hi guys,

I'm looking to replace a few bits in my iMac.
Just to verify - what airport card, hard drive and ram do I need for my iMac G5??

Charlie

Which version of the iMac G5 do you have? There were two different airport cards for the iMac G5, one with bluetooth and one without.

I'm pretty sure the 9,1 is the Intel Silver iMac. Although, I think you are referring to one of the first iMac G5's, in that case it only has Airport and not bluetooth, unless it has the ambient light sensor.

Where did you get that particular info? Doesn't seem to be a valid Mac model. Can you check again? The processor speed on an iMac G5 will tell most everything, with the display size (17 or 20-inch)
Any iMac G5 prior to the iSight models take PC3200 SDRAM - each slot up to 1 GB.
The hard drive is SATA 3.5-inch, so you can upgrade to 2 TB if you want.
The Airport card, again, will depend on which model you have.
The first G5 iMac was an optional airport or bluetooth
The next model (known as ALS) has a combined Airport/Bluetooth card, which was not optional. Another way to tell is the combined card will have two antennas connected, and is mounted directly on the logic board. The older, Airport extreme is a standard Airport extreme card mounted in a grey plastic bracket, with only one antenna.

Back