imac g5 and dvd DL

3mors

HampCake Studios
i've just burned a dvd+r DL on my PC burner and i've realized that it can't be read by my iMac G5 DVD burner (not DL)

is it normal or is an error?

it seems like my old powerbook dvd reader, that can't read dvd rw... (and i know that this is normal)

forgive the ignorance, but does your imac g5 (i'm assuming rev A) have DVD+R capabilty?

DVD-R and +R are seperate media (assembled differently) that store information on parts of one disc that don't exist on the other disc... follow?
If your drive isn't +R then the drive will likely eject the disk moments after insertion...

I don't think the DL factors in as much as the ability to read +R discs in the first place

here my imac dvd burner infos:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-825:

Firmware Revision: DBN7
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: No

i've just tried to read my burned dvd-dl on an ibook g4 with a combo dvd/cdr and it works without problem.

why can't i read it on my imac g5 with dvdr?

Check the iMac with another DVD - a commercial movie DVD would be a good choice - see if it will read ANY DVDs. If you have another burned DVD that might have worked with the iMac before, try that also.

yes, it works with original double layer dvds and with burned single layer dvds, but not with this burned double layer dvd. unfortunately i have only a burned dl dvd...

does the iMac just spit the DL disk back out without reading, or do you get an error message, or the disk just sits in the drive not doing anything until you eject it?
Have you launched Disk Utility to check that the DL disk is really not seen at all?

it spits out the disc without saying anything. obviously on disc utility i can't check the infos :(

Back