Imac G5 Overheating

hypertron

Registered
Hi,
I was using my Imac G5 (pre iSight) and it suddenly shut down. It smelled of burnt plastic so I immediately disconnected the power and all accessories, laid the computer down, and took off the cover. Everything seemed normal, except the smell of burnt plastic coming from the fan and faintly from the power supply. I took the metal piece covering the fan and hard drive, and attempted to clean the fan. After about an hour I put the cover back on, plugged my computer back in, and started it up. It again shut down after about half an hour of use. What's wrong? Do I need a new power supply? I checked the Apple Recall and my serial fits, but the symptoms do not follow the ones in the recall. Help! Thanks in advance.
-Hyper

Make an appointment and take your iMac to the nearest Apple store. A lot of G5 iMacs are being replaced out of warranty because of defective power supplies, among other things.

I feel your pain. I had a similar issue with my 2nd gen iMac G5. It's an issue with the capacitors that bulge causing either the power supply or the logic board (or both) to fail. Check your logic board and I'm certain you'll find some bulging capacitors.

This thread will be of great interest to you as well:
http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/298367-imac-g5-shutting-down-itself.html

Take advantage of the repair extension program mentioned in that thread. I had to have my components replaced twice early this year.

Good luck!

Back