iMac G5 testimonials?

mbenchoff

Registered
I know that the iMac G5 has only been available for a short period of time, but has anyone heard of any negative quality issues? The college that I work at is about 40% Mac, 60% PC (in regards to faculty and staff), but there's been recent talk of pushing for more PCs because of financial reasons. The eMac isn't an option because we've had an attrocious failure rate of 30%, and the people controlling the purse strings are leary of the iMac G5 because it's so new and untested (we've also encountered hardware issues with the flat-panel iMac G4, but nowhere near as bad as the eMac). That leaves us with a full-blown tower as our only Mac option -- unless I can provide evidence that Apple has again developed a high-quality product. Thanks.

Mike

Thanks for the link. The only negatives I've heard thus far are about some CDs/DVDs refusing to eject, but I've seen that behavior in a few TiBooks here on campus. Hopefully they developed a trouble-free product this time -- we've had a 30% failure rate with first generation eMacs and a lot of our first generation G4 iMacs have had intermittent troubles on our network (Cisco switches).

I've been reading about the CD/DVD eject problem for the last few days (I don't even have an iMac, I just can't help but gather knowledge about Apple everywhere), and it seems to be isolated to mass produced CDs/DVDs that either have a thick layer of ink on them, or CDs/DVDs to which a label has been affixed.

On a side note, I would never recommend affixing any kind of label to a CD, especially one that doesn't cover the entire CD (they can throw the balance of a CD WAAAAAY off and cause damage to your drive over time) and I wouldn't even recommend the entire-CD-labels, either. CDs aren't checked extensively for stability when rotating, but putting any kind of label on them is sure to throw them off-balance: something that is necessary for proper operation.

That being said, I don't want to jinx anyone with a new G5 iMac, but for Apple to get the price as low as it is, I wouldn't expect the case or structure of the iMac to be very strong. The G4/G5 cases are like blocks of steel -- you can throw them across the room and they'll survive. I would also assume that the internals of the iMac, while powerful, may not be up to the stringent design inherent in the G5 cases. It would be easy to overheat an iMac, simply by placing it in a situation where there wasn't adequate ventilation near the top exhaust slots or using it in environments like many college computer labs, where many computers reside in a room with only the standard A/C ventilation. If you've ever ventured into one, you'll know what I'm talking about -- they're usually pretty stuffy with a lack of ventilation.

I think the same of the eMac -- while it's a great all-in-one design suited perfectly for classrooms and labs, I don't think the environmental tolerance of the machine is anything NASA would want to take a look at.

For example, I've got a friend that I'm fixing an old B&W G3 for. His fans are caked with dirt, and the power supply fan went completely kaput. His ethernet port stopped working -- I assumed from a power spike at some point, which he had a lot of, but it wasn't that. The computer would power up just fine, but the power supply fan wouldn't spin and the ethernet port, when viewed under the Network pane of System Preferences, would blink on and off intermittently. Replacing the power supply fixed the port... strange, eh?

If you've had problems with your eMacs, I would first take a look at the environment they're used in (and I'm not making any accusations, just suggestions). Is it difficult to cool the room? Is it noticeably warmer than adjacent rooms? Are the machines placed closely together, and is there at least a foot or two of space around all sides of the computer? Are the computers placed in such situations that a "hot-box"-like effect would happen (common with computers placed in "cubby-hole"-type desks, where there's a shelf above the monitor/computer and desk "walls" on either side)?

At any rate, like I said before, I don't think the new iMac G5s will take a three-foot drop to the floor, but from what I've heard, the screen is great, the speed is great, and the form-factor is great. I suppose we'll need to wait another month or two for the possibility of a report of short-term failure, but I'm hoping we don't hear anything.

I got my new iMac maybe 3 weeks ago, and I had the CD eject problem with a burned DVD. All I had to do was restart with CRT-OPT-O-P held down and type reset-all to reset the firmware settings.

I wouldn't worry about heat, the iMac has more than sufficient fans as long as you don't block them (which would be hard to do unless you took off the base). When you reboot into anything other than OSX they default to the highest settings, and it's like a little jet engine. When used in OSX they're very quiet though.

All in all I'm very happy with it. By the way, apple has a great support system, they have a tech guy chat with you and bring up the right help pages in another window.

I have an iMac G5 20" and its really an awsome machine. But I have a problem with the screen. It displays 6!! always on pixels (green red and blue)
So I went to my Apple reseller. They will contact Apple and ask if they do exchange the display. I hop they will agree

If those 6 pixels are located in the middle of the screen where your focus is most of the time, or two or more pixels are located in close proximity of each other, I would politely assert that I would like an exchange... persistence, patience and politeness are key, but make it known that you are very displeased -- that usually gets good results! Good luck!

Back