iMac G5, your thoughts?

No, not yet. It's probably going to be a while. But you'll probably see rumor sites throwing things around about it this fall or around MacWorld in January. I still doubt it will be announced in January though (especially since heat issues for the G5 iMac were a problem before). Can you imagine having to make a PowerBook with a G5 if you are having problems cooling one in an iMac setting?

Yeah, don't bother waiting that long. If you need a PowerBook then you should just get one. I do admit that waiting for a whole new generation of a computer to come out is better than waiting for just a speedbump, but like many people on these boards would agree, the PowerBook G5 isn't going to be coming out until at least mid to late next year.

Cool...thanks.

I'm really looking forward to getting a Powerbook. My friend has a Tibook and he loves it...also, he is going to be picking up a new one as well.

Where is a good place to pick up carrying cases for them?

<off topic>
That depends on wich country you live in :)
As for cases, i like my Troyan Madrid Titanium. it got a life-time garantee and a three-year guarantee for the contents. (i presume they mean for damages related to the case's protection capabilities). :)
</off topic>

Ryanm, yes I meant Apple Paris. The G5 iMacs are supposed to be introduced there, so I guess it could be Sept 1, depending on what date the keynote is and where you live.
Shipping date is a different matter all together, the way Apple's been running things.
And Dub, the only official word from Apple is not expect a G5 PowerBook anytime soon. Most rumor sites expect another revision of the G4 line beforehand, but there's no timeframe.

i cant imagine it having a vertical optical drive.

that was one major point jobs made about the current iMac. he stated the prototype had a vertical optical drive and he told ives to look around, take inspiration from the things that surround us and make every component of the iMac "true to itself" or words to that effect.

he also went on to say vertical drives are noisy and slower because they are designed to be horizontal.

it would be very jobsesque to turn around and say the complete opposite of the new iMac if it indeed did have a vertical optical drive though.

the most annoying thing about my Cube was the vertical optical drive. noisy as hell. vibrated my wood desk and sounded just awful.

It's quite possible that Apple (or more likely one of their component suplliers) have worked on making an efficient vertically mounted drive since the current iMac was released.

Things do change; progress is made.

Back