iMac G5, your thoughts?

Randman

HA! HA! HA!
There's been a dearth of comments concerning the rumors about the new G5 iMacs. Do people think the specs are accurate, and will you purchase one or wait?
My feelings is a 2 Ghz top-of-the-line model would be nicer than 1.8, but I guess you have to have some delineation between the PowerMacs. The rumored design is also kind of interesting, especially if it has a small footprint on a desktop.
I work with Towers, so I've always been a laptop guy at home, especially for the mobility. And while it'll be dang tough not to go for a G5 PB as soon as they come out, I've seriously been considering opting for a G5 iMac (especially if AE is packaged with it) and keeping my G4 iBook as my mobile machine until the G5 PBs come out (or maybe a rev B, depending on how the iMac fares.
Your thoughts?

I would not buy one, bcause i just bought a powerbook.
I dont put too much credibility in the rumored specs. Mostly because i think apple got burnt with the iMac G4 (in respect to units sold), and will hopefully not make that misstake again. A computer that costs 1200+ will be a hard sell with those specs even with a gorgeous flat display. A screen nearly always outlives the computer, and regular consumers should be able to buy a consumer-mac without the extra cost of a new display.

I'm getting kinda excited for the new iMacs because I would like to trade my G4 iBook and my Quicksilver powermac to get the top of the line new iMac. I am pretty concerned about the rumor of the computer being put onto the back of the display. During Steve's 2002 keynote when he revealed the new iMac, I'm sure you all remember his mentioned of how terrible the new iMac would have been if they did something like "glomming" all of the parts onto the back of the display. Even more important than asthetics is the fact that he mentioned having to slow down the speed of optical drives when they are put on their sides. Why apple would go against these principles and release a G5 iMac that is in direct contradiction with their vision of the G4 iMac is beyond me. Whatever happens, I hope the new iMac is as sexy as possible while also being efficient, quiet and of course, powerful. Fortunately, it doesn't look like we will have to wait very long to find out.

I think the new iMacs will be the first iMacs to really let OS X shine. Personally, I have found OS X simply too demanding for anything short of a DP G4. I know tons of you will disagree, and that's fine. I've got, what is it, seven Macs running OS X and only the duals are tolerable IMO.

But I knew the GUI performance would be short-lived and now that the G5s are here, OS X is pretty much glass. And with the GUI being processed by the GPU in Tiger (right?), it should speed up even more.

OK, back on track. I think the new iMacs will be another smash. With the Christmas season, they should do very well. I'm thinking of getting one for home since my iBook just isn't powerful enough for what I want to do at home.

My number one priority for iMacs is how loud it is. I will absolutely not except any level of noise. I will not buy it if it's the least bit noisy. It's that simple. I'll buy another tower and stick it in the neighboring room if I have to (did that on my last tower). Second priority is speed. I need at least Dual 1 GHZ G4 speed. Presumably a G5 1.6 or better should pretty much get me there. Third, a really solid graphics card. iMac users want to be able to play the latest games. Historically, iMacs really have underdelivered in that area. Fourth. A beautiful design.

Looking forward to them.

I've never been one to purchase below the "pro" level -- always a PowerBook, never an iBook. Always a tower, never an iMac. It just comes with the line of business. However... I would most definitely purchase a G5 iMac. I've done nothing but G4 towers in the past. I would love to own a spankin' new G5 tower, but the price points are much higher than the old G4 towers. The low-end model is $2000 right now. Offer me a single 1.8 at $1699 like the old 1.6 and I'll bite -- but $2000 is too much for me right now.

...which makes the G5 iMac a much more attractive deal. If it's cool enough and priced right, I would definitely consider one.

I'm looking forward to the iMac G5. I would have probably purchased a dual 3.0GHz G5, but I'm just not sure about the dual 2.5. I know its a great machine, but still. My other issue is, despite having an ADC 15" flat display from my Quicksilver, I'd really like to get a larger display to go with it, for FCP and such at home. Yes, we've been through everyone telling me that I can buy any other brand display, but I don't want to! :)

If only the 20" was less expensive. I mean, even $999.00 would have been better, though $799.00 would have gotten my credit card out! I just can't afford $4000.00+ on a machine that isn't even the speed I had my heart set on.

I just emailed this into another site, but, going with the concept that the tablet and the iMac G5 could be the same thing...

We've heard of "wireless display", we've heard tablet, we've heard iMac G5...what if the iMac G5 was a computer (duh), but the screen could pop off and be used as a tablet, using a stripped down OS X install, inkwell, wireless networking, but without optical drive, and connection ports besides for some sort of new connection port to snap the tablet and base back together, to make a complete iMac.

I have no idea how that can happen, but this *is* Apple afterall!

C'mon, everyone would want something that could do that...I'd think.

Randman, I am in a very similar situation. Currently my tibook makes me unhappy because of the very low airport range, no built-in bluetooth and loud fan. I was planing to go for the G5 powerbook when it's in the rev B. This might take some time, so I thought of the G5 iMac. However, I heard the screen will be attached to it in a similar way like it is with the current iMacs. I was hoping to find a lowcost G5 where I can pick my own screen and kinda renew the system and still use the same screen. Since this might not be possible, I think I will wait for the G5 alubook.

Ryan,

Since the iMac G5 is supposed to be released in August, I believe Randman was suggesting the lure of the new iMac may be too much to resist...

For me, I think it will be. I'd love a dual G5, but still, I had my heart set on 3GHz or dual core CPUs. I do need a second machine for strictly home use and testing purposes, so I think the iMac will fill in very nicely, depending on the price/size/if its cool enough ;)

Well, the Apple Store says that they will both be announced and available in September, so that could mean late September, who knows?

I think it is a bad idea to raise the prices again. Plus, the design better be smoking, if the specs from Thinksecret are accurate. The education market will not buy a computer without an Optical drive but with a monitor. They would prefer having a headless unit as well, since they often upgrade machines and not the monitors. This is at least the case for many universities. No optical drive for education machines is fine, but no monitor is the selling point.

Price is too high, if reports are accurate.
Graphic cards are mediocre at best.

Well, one report said that Apple would have these guys ready to get *some* educational sales, so I would assume an announcement in August in Paris could do that, though its still very late, unless you work at an institution that's holding out.

I agree. Apple needs to allow some high end features trickle in, like the video card, etc, if its possible. That won't cut PowerMac sales, since those guys are all duals anyway!

Back