Imac High Sierra On 1 Tb Lacie Ssd Thunderbolt

Sancaman

Registered
Hi guys,

This is gonna be my first topic on this forum.
I'm gonna explain my situation.

I have an iMac Late 2014 witch has fusion drive. I have worked on it for several years now. No Problem. I wanted to upgrade my Mac with an SSD and I decided to do it external over thunderbolt, Which work perfectly fine.

Settings:
SSD is my startup Disk with High Sierra on it.
Fushion Drive: Still available with High Sierra on it.

So basically I can switch between the one and the other.

BUT!,...When I'm on my SSD,...OSX sees my internal drive ( fusion ). That makes sense. But It also recognize my programs from internal drive. So...High Sierra looks like an clean install,...but I still got Team viewer and different plugins and some add-on program from my fusion on my clean install on my SSD.

Is there a way....without formatting the fusion drive to have them totally separate?
Or can I unmount ( Software ) the internal drive during the OSX on my SSD?

Not sure if I understand your problem.
You would see apps on the internal drive, and those apps should launch and work fine from the external drive, unless you have an app that won't work unless you specifically install that on the boot drive.
You likely have a lot of shared settings if you are logged in to the same AppleID/iCloud account on both drives.
If you want to avoid any interaction, then don't log in to your AppleID, or turn off all sync settings in iCloud. But again, both drives will still always be there.
Or, maybe you could set up a separate AppleID account just for the external drive (?)

It's not a simple task to avoid any syncing between the drives, particularly when, for all practical purposes, they are connected to the same bus.

Also, keep in mind that the "fusion" is actually two separate devices, and when you are NOT booted to that fusion drive, the two devices may (or may not) be separately accessible, so that may be confusing the whole issue.
Or, disable/uninstall the apps on your fusion drive that you don't want to access accidentally when booted to the external.

Not sure if I understand your problem.
You would see apps on the internal drive, and those apps should launch and work fine from the external drive, unless you have an app that won't work unless you specifically install that on the boot drive.
You likely have a lot of shared settings if you are logged in to the same AppleID/iCloud account on both drives.
If you want to avoid any interaction, then don't log in to your AppleID, or turn off all sync settings in iCloud. But again, both drives will still always be there.
Or, maybe you could set up a separate AppleID account just for the external drive (?)

It's not a simple task to avoid any syncing between the drives, particularly when, for all practical purposes, they are connected to the same bus.

Also, keep in mind that the "fusion" is actually two separate devices, and when you are NOT booted to that fusion drive, the two devices may (or may not) be separately accessible, so that may be confusing the whole issue.
Or, disable/uninstall the apps on your fusion drive that you don't want to access accidentally when booted to the external.

Thank you for your reply. I understand that's its hard to keep them separately. I just want to do that, to keep things organized.
I wanted the ssd build in my iMac....but here where I live...there is no company who does that...so that's why I've decided it over thunderbolt.

I think I will uninstall the programs on my internal drive and maybe someday format it.

Thanks again. :)

I think I know what your talking about. I had the same experience. I did a clone back up of my internal drive. When I selected Open With, I see two copies of every app I have installed on that list. It included the apps on the cloned drive.
The only way to use the app on the boot drive is to go to Applications on the drive you are working on, and select the app from there.

Back