imac min

Not sure how the 2 socket types relate to each other, but this is directly from Apple's training materials for the mini.
Core Duo and Core Solo (the single core version) use a Socket 479 platform, which is incompatible with previous Pentium M or Centrino motherboards because of the pin arrangement and the new chipset functions.

why is there a problem? I just renewed my Apple tech certification, and reviewing those, Apple states in their tech training materials that the socket is a Socket 479. The socket 775 is used with the Core 2 Duo, which is not in the mini (yet).

So am I right in thinking the core solo and core duo use socket 479 and the core 2 duo uses socket 775 ?

Thanks for the advice

No, not completely. The Core Duo might use the Socket M, or the Socket 479 (which are not pin-compatible)
The Core2Duo might use the Socket M, or the Socket T, which is also known as the 775
there may be other sockets that those two processor lines might use, but that gets a little beyond your initial question about the mini....

If your question is REALLY about which processor to get to upgrade the mini? - Then there are several sites that have information about which processor to get. Just google for Mac mini upgrades
Found this -
The Merom Core 2 Duo (T7600, T7400, T7200) will fit in the mini. Same FSB - 667Mhz, socket - 478, etc.

Back