Imac powers up automatically

portfoleyo2000

Registered
Lately i've been coming home to find my imac on. I've been shutting it down due to all the thunderstorms in my area. Under the energy saver options, wake for ethernet... isn't checked off. I do run eye tv but i dont have anything scheduled. Is there anything else i should check? I have an external hard drive and printer connected to the usb ports. It's an intel imac, 5 months old, 1 gig of ram and running the latest version of leopard. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Check in Energy Saver to see if it's set to automatically turn on at a certain time.

The most likely cause of that in the past was a dead backup battery - I don't have your model computer, but I'd guess it will turn out the same for you. The backup battery powers the computer start circuit (keeps a capacitor charged).

How about turning off your power strip? If there's no power there, even an accidental press of the power button won't do anything. When you are home, and the weather is safe, punch your power strip. Until then, your Mac remains plugged in, so to take advantage of grounding in the electric system, but can't turn on accidentally.

Back