Imac questions

brandN

Registered
I just have a few questions. Does my imac g3 350 mhz have an internal fan? If not what keeps it from burning up? Also, what would be a good hard drive and dvd drive for it? It's a slot loading drive so I'd need a slot loading superdrive. I'm also wanting to upgrade to 1 GB of RAM. Will any of this stuff cause it to overheat? Oh, and one more thing... if i get a new hard drive, are you allowed to reinstall mac osx on it.

You can find a Superdrive Here

Hard Drives Here

Memory Here

You can only use up to a 128GB drive in this machine.

It doesn't have a fan. The design keeps it from burning up.

Won't over heat with adding these things.

Yes, you can install OS X on the new drive.

Also be warned that your iMac is one of the models that suffers from a PAV (Power/Analog/Video) board failures. Personally, I think it's due to heat over time. The PAV board is sort-of sandwiched into the middle of your computer and it's responsible for power input and output of video to the CRT tube.

If this board goes out, it can be replaced, but be prepared to spend a couple hundred bucks or more (US).

To reduce the chances of the PAV going out, DO NOT put anything on top of the iMac and make sure there's some space above it to allow for venting of the heat. Further, it's best to turn these computers off when you're done with them so they don't sit and produce further heat.

I too am having a PAV problem. I know there's no simple way to do it, but is there any way I can bypass my slot-loading iMac's internal video? Then, with an external monitor, my Mac will still be usable.

Back