iMac with Question Mark

flyfishin4trout

Registered
I cannot get this guy to boot. I have tried booting off cd with several of the boot key combos but I am having no luck. I would like to boot into a cd and see if i can get some pictures off and then reformat and reinstall. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Heh... hopefully a little less dirty, though! ;)

That lampshade iMac should boot from the 10.4 CD (as long as it's either a retail 10.4 CD or the original iMac-specific 10.4 CD that came with the computer). If the CD is gray in color and has a different Macintosh model printed on it, then that could be why the iMac refuses to boot from that media.

What would you guys do to get these pics off of here? Should I take the hard drive out and put it in another computer? Would that be easier?

Well, I believe that iMac you have can support what's called Target Disk Mode where it basically turns into an external drive device. After you hear the startup chime, hold down "T" and once you see the Firewire logo icon, the iMac is in Target Disk Mode. At this point, you can connect it to another computer through Firewire and have it show up on the other computer as external drives (I believe it also works for the iMac's optical drive). Of course, this requires that the computer you're accessing the Mac from also has Firewire ports.

I've done this on my iMac G5 when I needed to offload some data to my Ubuntu laptop (which has Firewire also) so that I could ship off my iMac for repair. Worked like a charm. :D

How much RAM do you have? Not all lampshades have enough installed by default for 10.4.

Back