Image OS drive to RAID1

Armegeden

Registered
Hello,

I have a 10.5.3 XServe. The OS is on an 80GB drive and there are two more 1TB drives that are mirrored (RAID1).

How can I move the OS to the RAID1 partition for redundancy?

I don't really need the 80GB drive in there. Maybe keep it for extra storage, but not a necessity.

I remember Carbon Copy, but I'd rather stick to some freeware or build-in software to help with this. Something I can copy the entire OS drive over and have it bootable.

Thanks

I just realized Carbon Copy Cloner is freeware.

Any other opinions on this? Think this program will accomplish what I need? I'd be happy to donate if it did what I need.

Yep, that will do the trick. Make sure you set the server into target mode and run CCC from a different machine; hooked up via firewire. You can run into problem if you try to copy an OS in use.

You can also set up a cron job. cp -r /Volumes/OS /Volumes/1T/OSBackup/

That will take over night to accomplish.

What are you trying to backup? I have worked with Xserves and may be able to give you a different idea for backups.

Mediocer

Yep, that will do the trick. Make sure you set the server into target mode and run CCC from a different machine; hooked up via firewire. You can run into problem if you try to copy an OS in use.
No, you will not have any issues running Carbon Copy Cloner while Mac OS X Server is booted. CCC is meant to be run from the volume you're cloning, with the OS booted up. You do not need to boot from a different volume.
You can also set up a cron job. cp -r /Volumes/OS /Volumes/1T/OSBackup/
While this will indeed produce a copy of the data on the boot drive, it will not produce a bootable backup. CCC will produce a bootable backup.

ElDiabloConCaca, thanks for suggesting that..
I have generally created disk image using another volume; for imaging purposes. Ill have to try it that way.

CCC uses the built-in asr (Apple Software Restore) command for the cloning operation, so it's completely safe.

Back