Images on Mac look different than Windows

robberducky

Registered
Hi

I've noticed that images (viewed in iPhoto and/or Preview) on my MacBookPro look significantly different (brighter & redder) than the exact same images on my Windows computer. I have calibrated both LCD monitors and both Mac and Windows screens appear otherwise normal (i.e. colors look fine). Why is this, and is there any way that I can fix it?

Thanks so much!

Also, do the images perhaps have embedded color profiles? If so, the Mac may be respecting them and displaying the images according to the embedded profiles, while the Windows machine may not -- or vice-versa.

Windows has a different gamma than OS X. This makes Windows show images darker than on the Mac.

Thanks for the replies.

MisterMe: JPG files; they appear the same using Windows Fax/Picture Viewer, Photoshop CS2, and MS Paint; I don't know what "calibration methods" are, sorry!

ElDiabloConCa: I know that most of the JPG files have Adobe RGB (1998) ICC profiles embedded from my editing with Photoshop. I had a hunch that one OS (Win or Mac) was respecting the ICC and the other wasn't...but I don't know what to do about it!

Captain Code: I tried setting Mac to 2.2 gamma, or Windows to 1.8 gamma, but the images are different in more ways than just the gamma.

If it helps anyone, I'm able to simulate on my Mac almost exactly what the image looks like in Windows if I select "Macintosh RGB" in the Photoshop CS3 Proof Setup. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Photoshop and can't infer much from it.

That could be one issue right there - manually calibrating each screen will certainly give different results for two different OSes. If you want to be assured to have good color, you need to buy a colorimeter and use that to calibrate both systems.

You can generally find a decent one (Pantone Huey, Colorvision Spyder Express) for around $70-80 retail, possibly a little less online. Hardware calibration is MUCH more accurate than trying to do it yourself with the freebie method.

Something else to consider: Most apps in Windows and Mac OS are NOT color-managed (i.e. they don't honor the embedded ICC profiles), with the notable exception of Photoshop, Lightroom, (I would assume Aperture), and the only browser which does so is Safari (on Mac for sure, not sure about the Windows version.)

So, for example, if you're viewing a photo with an AdobeRGB profile in Windows preview, it definitely won't look the way it's supposed to.

Hope this helps,

-Bryan

I agree that manually calibrating each screen could give rise to a difference in the image appearance. However, even if I run Windows on the MacBookPro (using VMWare Fusion), the images appear different!

The image when viewed using Safari looks exactly as it does using Apple Preview or Photoshop CS3 on the Mac, which is DIFFERENT than it does using any Windows program or CS3 with Macintosh RGB Proof Filter.

That's the reason - Safari *is* color-managed, just like Photoshop...

Are you saying though, that viewing the image in the Windows version of Photoshop is only the same as the Mac version if you use the Mac RGB colorspace? Both versions of Photoshop should view the photo the same way, assuming both are using the same ICC profile.

I'll ask this one on another forum and see what I can find out.

-Bryan

Yes GoKyu - an image will only look the same using both Windows and Mac Photoshops if I use the Mac RGB colorspace...on Mac Photoshop!

No matter how you would calibrate your monitor.CRT screen and LCD screen will always looks different.

Back