IMAP deletes mail on my Mac SKY account!!!

stilbite

Registered
I have just set up a Sky account and have been told I can only use IMAP to access my mails to my Mac Mail account.
I have set up an account in Mac Mail but every time I delete the mails from my Sky account or my iphone they delete from my Mac Mail on my iMac!
I am on Snow Leopard 10.6.3.
I have tried (in desperation) to reset to POP and spoken to SEVERAL people in at Sky help who have no idea! Disabling IMAP on my Sky account still allows the mail to come and go but STILL deletes them from my Mac if i delete them from my Sky account or iphone Is there a solution to this???

I have just set up a Sky account and have been told I can only use IMAP to access my mails to my Mac Mail account.
I have set up an account in Mac Mail but every time I delete the mails from my Sky account or my iphone they delete from my Mac Mail on my iMac!
I am on Snow Leopard 10.6.3.
I have tried (in desperation) to reset to POP and spoken to SEVERAL people in at Sky help who have no idea! Disabling IMAP on my Sky account still allows the mail to come and go but STILL deletes them from my Mac if i delete them from my Sky account or iphone Is there a solution to this???

You can't just make a IMAP account into a POP account. You'll need a POP email service. There is no making an IMAP account to behave like a POP account.

Just for further clarification, what you're experiencing is completely normal, and exactly how IMAP is supposed to work.

Like djackmac says, what you want is a POP account.

Thanks for the quick responses.
The Mac will not see POP account on the SKY set up. I get the error "cannot see the pop.tools.sky.com"
The "helpers" say SKY will not set up a POP account via a Mac.
So Basically if SKY do not allow POP to run (despite in there settings you can enable and disable POP) is there any way I can save the messages on my Mac?

I think I may have found a way round.
I have created a sub folder outside my SKY inbox and can COPY or MOVE mails to it and they do not delete!
Just manual at the moment... need to find a tutorial on SMART MAILBOXES... wonder if these can send them there automatically???

Back