iMessage and screen sharing is not working

BosseD

Registered
I try to set up an old iMac to be used for a friend but we need to be able to share screens. I have successes to do so with iMessage and my own already installed account on the old machine. The problem is when I create the new account for my friend everything's working except that the screen sharing icons are greyed out in both computers. Going back to my own account it works ... Something that makes it a little more challenging is that the old iMac must run on OS X 10.10.5 with version of iMessage is 8.0. Yes very old but since it works with one user it should work for the new user also, right?

What other Sharing settings do you need? Do you have "Remote Management" turned on for that user? Screen Sharing and Remote Management cannot be "on" at the same time, for example

Hi and thanks for your answer, no I have the same settings for "my" account as for the new account. I have also tried to set the new account to administrator but it does not work either. The shares activated are, DVD-CD, Screen, File, Printer. The Remote log in, Remote management, External apple ... and Internet and Bluetooth are not shared! I have also noticed that during start up the system ask me to log in to iCloud for this new account. When I try to do that at this screen it does not accept the password. It just continue to ask. If I however log into iCloud.com it works ....

I'm still struggling. I have noticed that also Face Time is working as expected and it also activated that icon in iMessage .... but still ... I can't get it active for the new user in the old machine .... :(

hmm.... Try this:
Login to the problem user on the old Mac. Sharing pref pane - turn off all sharing choices (this is for troubleshooting) - so all sharing is unchecked. Try to enable Remote Management, then turn that setting off again.
Restart that Mac before continuing (logging in to that same user), then go to the Sharing pane. Can you now turn ON Screen Sharing?
If you can enable Screen Sharing, you should then be able to re-enable the other sharing settings that you want to have.

Which old Mac do you have that is limited to to Yosemite (OS X 10.10.5)?
Is it because of some other software that you want to keep using?
I am not aware of any Mac that won't let you upgrade past Yosemite (if that is natively supported.)

God morning! :) Well I tried but I can´t see any change. To clarify, the screen sharing icon that is greyed and not possible to activate is in iMessage. The tick box in system settings is selectable. I have also noticed an other strange behaviour. When I did the restart and logged in to the new account it was requested to log in to both Face Time and to iCloud. In both cases I tried but the system answered be sending a code to my phone. But without the normal behaviour that the system ask to "add" this code after the password. BUT, I could start Face Time and I could log into directly to iCloud anyhow.

So my old one, its an iMac 24 inch early 2008. And no, I have no old SW I want to use but according to Apple store/update function it shall not be possible to run on higher than 10.10.5.?!?!

Last edited:
Yes, you can update your Early 2008 iMac to 10.11.6, which is the highest version that you can upgrade
I have that exact model (a 20-inch model), and have both Snow Leopard (because I like that version), and El Capitan installed, each on separate partitions. The software update is probably not showing you an update, as it is an "upgrade", and not really an update. Your iMac will support that.
You can download the 10.11.6 full installer direct from Apple, if you want to upgrade. There's a download link for El Capitan on this support page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683
There's also the steps for using that installer.

Yes, you will get an authentication code sent to your phone, because you have two-factor authentication turned on.
I choose not to turn that function on, as I use my AppleID for a variety of service tasks, and entering an authentication code every time I need to get to my account would limit what I can do for customers, so my choice.
I realize that using an authentication code can be a bit cumbersome at times, but you just enter that code when asked. If you didn't see the entry box, you likely just have to press Return or Enter.

God morning! :) Well I tried but I can´t see any change. To clarify, the screen sharing icon that is greyed and not possible to activate is in iMessage. The tick box in system settings is selectable. I have also noticed an other strange behaviour. When I did the restart and logged in to the new account it was requested to log in to both Face Time and to iCloud. In both cases I tried but the system answered be sending a code to my phone. But without the normal behaviour that the system ask to "add" this code after the password. BUT, I could start Face Time and I could log into directly to iCloud anyhow.

So my old one, its an iMac 24 inch early 2008. And no, I have no old SW I want to use but according to Apple store/update function it shall not be possible to run on higher than 10.10.5.?!?!
I would suggest to stop try using MacOS screen sharing options. Do you only need access to the old iMac to provide remote assistance?

Try installing TeamViewer QS on the old iMac and install TeamViewer (free for non-commercial use) on your mac.
This way you can provide remote assistance without having to check/uncheck privacy and security settings related to different MacOS version!

Back