iMessage with same AppleID, but different devices

applemaz

Registered
In my family, my spouse, children and I each have an iOS 5.1.1 device using the same AppleID for purchases of all kinds. I want each of us to be able to iMessage/FaceTime each other individually. For example, I contact one child without the others or my spouse getting the call/message.

Is this possible? It seems entering multiple email addresses in iMessage under Settings just makes it ring on all devices since we have the same AppleID.

ElDiabloConCaca

U.S.D.A. Prime
iMessage, as far as I know, uses unique Apple ID's to send and receive messages. Every iMessage-capable device using the Apple ID will (and should) receive the message.

Why not just set everyone up with their own Apple ID? What you're asking to do (if I understand correctly) is akin to asking, "I want everyone to share one email address, but when I send email to that email address, I only want it to go to one person or another -- not everyone with access to that email address."

Probably impossible.

Doesn't Apple offer the ability to create free "sub-accounts" under Apple IDs that you could use to dole out unique Apple IDs to all family members?

sgould

Registered
Open Facetime and create a new account. There's a button for it. ;)

Giaguara

Chmod 760
Staff member
Mod
You can have all users have their own AppleID for FaceTime, iMessage etc - and still use the same account for all for app store if you like.