iMovie and iLife Problem

Fishfry

Registered
I have Panther installed on an iBook. Some time ago, during an upgrade to 10.3.9, I believe, the icon for iMovie on my computer dimmed out, and I was unable to use that program. I have no idea what, if anything, I did to cause that. I tried to reinstall from the original Panther disk, keeping my old permissions and user files, but my computer now has a "minus" sign in the space to install iMovie, and I get a message that iMovie cannot be installed on "this computer" when I try to install the package independently. I purchased iLife 06 and got the same message; that I cannot install this package on my computer.

Although I am mildly interested in how this indication got on my computer in the first place, I am more interested in how to remove it. Do I have to do a complete reinstall of Panther, wiping out my user files and rebuilding them from scratch, or is there some other way?

Thanks

iLife '06 recommends OS X 10.4.4 for full use of that software. I have no idea why it won't install if you are running 10.3.9
Try going in to the Library/Receipts folder, and removing any iLife or iMovie files that you find there, then try installing the iLife.
Oh, be sure that is the Library on your hard drive, and not the Library in your user folder, you won't find the correct receipts folder there.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, there are no iLife or iMovie folders in the Library/Receipts folder.

In addition, the problem predated my purchase of the iLife package (in fact, that's one of the reasons I purchased iLife). After I did an upgrade to 10.3.9 (although the problem could have happened a little earlier), I noticed that I could not open iMovie, getting a message that the program no longer existed. When I tried to do a special install of simply iMovie from my original Panther disk, I was told it could not be installed on my computer. Before that time, I had no problem using iMovie. So the problem is not with iLife per se, but with some code which was inserted onto my computer at some point after I originally installed Panther, and when I did the 10.3.9 upgrade.

----------------

Have no idea why I chose serendipity. Serendipity...?

How did you know?

did you see receipt files for other i-software, such as iTunes, iPhoto, etc. ?

So then, iMovie HD is the only software from the iLife '06 that will not install.
Have you then successfully installed any other parts of iLife 06, such as iPhoto?
If not, have you tried installing iLife through a new admin user created for that purpose?

No, nothing from the iLife 06 disk will install. I got a message that the disk couldn't be installed on this computer.

After reading your post, I created another administration account and tried to install iMovie from my original Panther disk. I get the same message when I try to do a custom install...iMovie is dimmed, and a message says that iMovie is "disabled."

iPhoto is operable. I haven't been able to install iWeb, GarageBand 3, or iDVD 6 because of the message that iLife 06 will not install on this computer.

Any other thoughts our suggestions?

What about my original thought: doing a complete wipeout of the hard drive and reinstalling Panther, using archived settings on another drive one by one to make sure the offending "disabled" notation isn't passed on?

Sorta on this subject, are iWeb and Panther compatible? That is, how does one download iWeb to Panther, if it is possible?

is your ibook a g3 or g4? ilife06 requires a g4, and it may be that after imovie was updated at some point, it will no longer run on a g3.

Back