iMovie title/transistion corrupts project

hypocampers

Registered
I am having a problem with iMovie, I create a new movie project, I then import a *.dv clip into the project, create a tiltle and a fade out at the end.

I then save the project and whilst I am logged in all is fine.

I logout and login again at some other time, when I do this iMovie will load but imediately complain about some file and crash every time.

Some things I have noted and a workaround:

1. This problem is related to the user account I am using, if I use a new account all works fine until the next logout and then that account won't work.

2. Importing the project into a new account seems ok.

3. Workaround:
Store the project somewhere common to all
Create a new account called accountname
Open a terminal window
cd /Users
tar cvf accountname.tar accountname
mv accountname accountname.old
tar xvf accountname.tar

Launch iMovie works again
Load up the project no problem.

But will crash all over again the next time I login.

This is a horrid workaround but I was desperate as I needed to get my new Formac Studio up and working to duplicate some news reels for a client from VHS.

Has anybody got any ideas as to whats up here.

Many thanks in advance.

I run MacOSX 10.1.5 on a quicksilver 933 with 768mb

---------------------------------------------

More.........
Somebody else must have these problems?

I made a test to see where in the project file things start to go wrong.

I used Bedit to make a copy of the text within the iMovie project file.

I made the standard movie clippings and saved the project, made another copy of the project file (using another name), exited and logged back in. No problems.

Added a Title sequence, saved made another copy of the project (sequentially numbered so I am able to go back to a working copy), logged out an in again, no problem.

Added the Credits (rolling credits, block of text) and a fade, made a copy, logged out and in again. Imovie unsuable, just blows up every time, I don't even have time to read the error message.

Cut and paste the previous contents of the project back into the project, erasing the old stuff and iMovie works again.

Has anybody got any idea as to whats going on.

This is iMovie running under OSX 10.1.5.

You don't happen to have QuickTime 6 Preview installed, do you? QuickTime 6 is incompatible with iMovie and Final Cut Pro in its current incantation.

Solution: downgrade to QuickTime 5. There's a re-installer located on the QuickTime page at apple.com.

I think you got it in one, many thanks.

I upgraded to 10.1.5 and had Quicktime 5 Pro installed, I then saw the add for Quicktime 6 as some of it can be activated by Quicktime Pro 5 registration numbers.

I then started some more serious work on iMovie, it didn't click at all the Quicktime 6 would cause a problem.

Anyway I shall do as you say and downgrade, again thanks for the tip. I do loose the MPEG 4 export option for now, but i can live with that.

Originally posted by hypocampers
I think you got it in one, many thanks.

I upgraded to 10.1.5 and had Quicktime 5 Pro installed, I then saw the add for Quicktime 6 as some of it can be activated by Quicktime Pro 5 registration numbers.

I then started some more serious work on iMovie, it didn't click at all the Quicktime 6 would cause a problem.

Anyway I shall do as you say and downgrade, again thanks for the tip. I do loose the MPEG 4 export option for now, but i can live with that.

Oh dear oh dear, I;ve had exactly the same problem! he he. I have less than a week to hand in my final year Uni stuff, and my G4 went psycho on me. I've been using the iMac instead. I thought it was QT6. that'll teach me for using beta software!

Got news for you, I ran a little experiment, not all permutations are completed, but take a look at this.

I took the original project, a working one, and ported this to my G3 500 and did all the titles and fades etc under OS9. NO PROBLEMS.

Just proted the project file back to the G4 933 and ran it initially under Classic, NO PROBLEM.

Ran the same project through OSX, NO PROBLEM!!!! This project had all the titles, fades and overlaps that I would have put under OSX.

However when created under OS9 and read through OSX the stuff works.

To me this looks like the project file is not:

1. Not being written correctly by the ported routines to iMovie OSX
2. OSX is not handing the text file control codes, CTRL-J CTRL-M to the application s correctly

3. Or iMovie OSX is writting the text file in some slightly odd fashion that it is unable to subsequently read later. The latter comment is born out by the fact that the project works until you exit iMovie and re-lunch.

To me this issue has got to be global and am surprised that a lot more has not been written about this fundamental problem.

I would....
Run iMovie under Classic which runs ok but the sound is juddery (but is not affected when read by OSX), or OS9. Later read the project using OSX and all seems ok.

It's "crackers" I know, I am lucky that I've got enough kit

Let me know if you find the same things

Back