IMovieHD error when importing video

hfoolwm

Registered
I'm trying cut out a few clips from this video and I keep getting an error message when I try to import the video into IMovieHD.

The movie is saved as a .vob file on a cd. I have permission to use everything from the video but only need a few clips. When ever I try to import the video into IMovie i get the message...

The file could not be imported: The file “xxxxx” can’t be imported; QuickTime couldn’t parse it: -2048

I have tried saving the file as .mov and .avi, but it still won't accept it.

What should I do?

.VOB files are typically MPEG-2 encoded, meaning you'll need the MPEG-2 component for QuickTime. Apple used to sell this as a ~$20 add-on, but I don't know how they do it now -- it could be included in the "Pro" version of QuickTime, but again, I'm not sure.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/

.VOB files are typically associated with video DVDs.

You can convert the .VOB file(s) to something more compatible with iMovie using software like ffmpegx or VisualHub (I recommend the latter). With VisualHub, simply drag the .VOB file(s) to the VisualHub screen, select "DV" or "DV Stream" as the conversion format, and away you go. The resulting .dv files should be immediately importable into iMovie.

Back