Importing Songs :confused:

Matt01

Registered
I have a G4 OS X 10.2.8 and the latest iTunes. I want to get the New iPod but there must be some problem with it becaue it takes seriously an hour to import ONE cd to my iTunes library. And I have a lot of CD's too. So is there any settings I can change to make it spin faster or what? SHould I get a new disk drive? Help me.
Thank You

First of all, did it always take that long to import a cd? Second, from the requirments on the new iPod box it says you need at least 10.3.9 installed and iTunes 6 or later. I dont know if other people use it on older OS X installments, so Im not sure how solid that info is.

I am also not totally clear is that the time to rip the CD or to transfer it to the ipod?

you have a G4...

Is it a tower?
Is it an iMac?
Is it a Cube?
how fast is it?
500Mhz?
800Mhz?

more info man

Its a G4 tower.....I am not sure where to find that speed, but if it's under System Profiler than it is
Machine Speed: 400MHZ
Bus Speed: 100 MHZ

I am really new to Apple and Mac but I really like it....I just get really confused....

Also I am having trouble networking...see my post in the NetWorking board.

Thx

Transfering Cd's to itunes is largely dependent on the read speed of your CD-ROM. If you have an older G4 and 400Mhz classifies, you very likely only have a 2x or 4x stock cd. I noticed a huge difference when I went over to my mom's house and ripped cd's over there on her Mac that is about your vintage. I upgraded her CD-ROM and immediately fixed the problem. You can get a lightning fast DVD Burner for around $80.00.
Good luck

Sounds like it may be an issue with the CD. Have you tried another one? I have had issues with particular CD's, but it never took me an hour to import a reasonably good (i.e. not too marked up/scratched) up CD, even on my iBook G3. Another thing is to check and see if it has any sort of copy protection on it, like from Sony. This has massively increased import times for me on certain CDs. Good luck.

pixmaniowa said:
If you have an older G4 and 400Mhz classifies, you very likely only have a 2x or 4x stock cd.
There is no G4 in existance that shipped with a CD-ROM drive with a read speed of only 2x or 4x. All G4 towers that shipped with CD-ROM drives have read speeds of at least 16x (and possibly at least 24x), or something close to that. 2x and 4x CD-ROM drives were prevalent in the early 90s, and by the time the G4 towers were released (late 90s), read speeds on CD-ROMs had hit 16x and beyond.

One thing to check is whether or not "Use error correction when importing CDs" is checked in the "Importing" preference pane of iTunes. This can dramatically reduce read times on certain CDs, so turning it off may be beneficial.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
There is no G4 in existance that shipped with a CD-ROM drive with a read speed of only 2x or 4x. All G4 towers that shipped with CD-ROM drives have read speeds of at least 16x (and possibly at least 24x), or something close to that. 2x and 4x CD-ROM drives were prevalent in the early 90s, and by the time the G4 towers were released (late 90s), read speeds on CD-ROMs had hit 16x and beyond.

One thing to check is whether or not "Use error correction when importing CDs" is checked in the "Importing" preference pane of iTunes. This can dramatically reduce read times on certain CDs, so turning it off may be beneficial.
Thank you for correcting me. For readers sake... I must be thinking of my DVD-RAM speeds... I Learn every day

Back