Impossible to restore preferences???

tooniverse

Registered
According to CompUSA, where I had my G4 Cube fitted with a 180 GB hard drive, there is no way to restore the preferences in Mac OS X without corrupting the entire operating system. Is Apple really that dumb to think we wouldn't care if we had to start from scratch each time we did a data transfer?! In OS 9 you could easily move anything anywhere on the hard drive, no restrictions. Also, how do I turn off that "keychain" garbage? I don't want any security crap on my computer at all, I'm the only one who uses it.

The application preferences (like say, Address Book, iTunes, ICQ). But I am really just talking the preferences for the entire system, to make sure everything is exactly the same as it was before the new hard drive. In OS 9 this was no problem at all. Why is it so difficult in 10...(they were able to keep my address book prefs by the way, but that's it. Everything else is reverted to default).

easier just to let system and apps create new prefs, The worst trouble I've had was trying to restore some system prefs after reinstalling OS X, when I backed prefs up from the root user, really messed the permissions up. I would have got it a lot faster just by letting apps create new prefs as I started to use them again. The mail prefs and address book prefs can sometimes be worst, that was a big advantage for you to get over that. I suspect CompuUSA just didn't want to take the time to help you as much as they would have liked to charge you for. :) IMHO the only settings that are worthwhile doing anything with are mail, address book, bookmarks, and cookie files. Everything else is 'make again' on the fly. Hey, Keychain helps you by keeping track of user names and passwords, so you don't have to. Not all apps do a good job of working with keychain, but that's not Apple's fault.

Ideally you could use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your entire machine onto the larger hard drive from the smaller one, although both would need to be powered up and connected either directly or via network/firewire disc target mode.

Back