Incoming Mail times are wrong

Mushu

Registered
Here's an odd problem - Whenever I recieve mail the time the message was sent is always wrong, I have tried sending mail from several machines all of which have the correct time and date set, yet it always appears on my machine to have been sent in the middle of the night! The date and time (and time zone) is set correctly on my mac so I don't know why it's happening. I have two macs running 'Mail' on 'System 10.2.8' and they both have this problem however my G5, running 'Mail' on 'Panther' is fine, as is another G4 running 10.2.8 but using Eudora as it's mail application. Has anyone else experienced the same problem? Did you find it as annoying as I do! GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

I assume you're testing this with always the same mail account and SMTP server? Because else it could be that one of them has the time wrong...

It sounds like a problem at the ISP or mail system level. E-mail messages are time-stamped when they hit the outgoing server, not by your system's own clock. You might wanna call your ISP or mail server admin and ask them if the clock is set right.

All the machines are on the same ISP and mail server but only the macs with sys 10.2.8 and mail seem to have the problem. All the PCS are fine as is the G5 running Panther.

Hm. interesting. A few messages of mine got a completely wrong date recently - it was when I had written the messages. I managed to plug the mac online only about 10 days later, so the messages appeared to be sent 10 days ago. And this happened with 10.3. :-/

This is a known problem in Tiger Mail: the app shows Date Received in GMT time, although Date Sent and the mail itself shows the correct local time.

Workaround: hide Date Received and show Date Sent.

Meanwhile, eager to hear if anyone has found a fix.

Back