Incorrect Association for File Extension

dedukes

Registered
Hi. My operating system (OSX 10.3.9) is misassociating certain Pro Tool 6.4 files with Excel and VLC Media Player. An example of the files I've found so far are as follows:

/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/.DS_Data
[mis-associated with Excel]
/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/.DS_Data
[mis-associated with Excel]
/Users/daredukes/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.dat
[mis-associated with VLC Media Player]

I'm not sure if this is related, but I found the following line in my system log:

"DigiCoreAudioDriver> Found 9 entries in 'SupportedApps.txt'."

That refers to the Pro Tools audio driver, but, again, I'm not sure if that's related to the issue here.

Anyway, everything works okay despite this. It's just an annoyance right now. But, you know, it's pretty annoying.

Thanks.

Since you are mucking about with hidden files, then you know that you can change file associations to anything you want via the Get Info dialog box.

On File associations how do you change them for an entire extension not just a single file?

I want to change .avi to launch VLC instead of QuickTime. I know how to change file by file, but how do I change the association for all .avi to use VLC as the default app?

Thanks for any help

Sorry but I am having an issue with this one. I go to open with -- other -- then select VNC, but I do not see a change all button. I am using OSX 10.3.9.

Hmm... I can't remember if OS X 10.3.9 has the "Change All..." button in the "Get Info" window... can you post a screenshot of your "Get Info" window?

To dedukes..

Seeing as how your thread got "Hi-jacked",
did the responses to the other posters question, satisfy your original problem?
If not, you might try posting again.

Back