InDesign CS: text frames

Esquilinho

Registered
Does anyone know how to prevent frames with unassigned or picture content from becoming text frames when you click on them with the text tool?
It’s really annoying! Sometimes I click by mistake in a picture frame and I don't want it to become a text frame... Locking the object doesn’t seem to work for that.

Thanks!

You can't prevent it from happening, but you can change it back to "unassigned" easily by going to the Object/Content menu and selecting unassigned (or graphic).

Or you can immediately "Undo" and it'll change back.

You can also hold down command when clicking on something, and that'll guarantee that your mouse pointer is the selection tool, not the text tool. I've kind of gotten in the habit of always holding command when clicking, even if the selection tool is selected.

Use InDesign's handy layers features and put your text boxes on one layer and your photos on another. Lock the photos layer… :)

Natobasso said:
Use InDesign's handy layers features and put your text boxes on one layer and your photos on another. Lock the photos layer… :)

That seems like a good solution, since I already have those boxes in a different layer ;). So now all I have to do is lock it. Thanks!

No problemo. :)

I moved to InDesign from Quark a year ago and wonder why I didn't do it sooner. Can't stand Quark now, in comparison.

Back