InDesign

Akkarin

Registered
Some of you may have caught my thread on Corel Draw. Okay I have done the entire vtc.com tutorial on Illustrator - very good. But where is my page layout tools gone I used in Draw? Sure I can draw even better vectors now but Corel Draw laid pages out for print also.

So am I right in understanding I need to go for InDesign now?

I make my art in Illustrator and then I move it over to InDesign to include it in text etc for print?

Any help appreciated! :)

Akkarin

Illustrator is a single-page, vector editing program -- not a page layout program. You cannot have multiple pages in Illustrator.

InDesign is a good page layout program, so yes, you would need to create/edit your artwork in Illustrator, save it in a supported format (EPS, AI, etc.), then use InDesign to lay out your page.

illstrator can be used for print, and has very extensive print production tools, but it will only do one page.

Illustrator handles fonts pretty well too, so you don't necessarily need InDesign unless you're producing multiple page documents. However, InDesign does give you a lot of export options when you RIP your files for print.

You can save pdf files directly from your Illustrator files, and I recommend that since it helps your printer RIP more successfully (though check with them first to see if this works for them).

Back