infared in macs

Jacksloadedgun

Registered
i was wondering how we can find out if your macintosh is equiped with an infared sensor that will allow me to use a hacked version of front row on my powerbook.

i assum it was in system profiler but it i couldn't find anything about it in there.

i bought my powerbook in may of 2005 if that helps.

1st have you gone to everymac.com, or apple.com and looked to see if a irad port is listed. if not, then it doesn't have one.
2nd, it sounds really bad for you to ask with help on a 'hacked' apple app here. i hope it just means that it has been modified to alow you to run it on unsupported macs, kind of like xpostfacto does for os x, and not something else.

if you want a remote for you Mac, your best bet is actually to use a phone with Bluetooth and a Mac with bluetooth to control your Front Row-equipped Mac.

I use my Sony Ericsson Z520a with my Bluetooth-equipped PowerBook and run a wonderfully useful program called "Salling Clicker" to do what you're describing... the best part is, because it uses bluetooth, it doesn't need to be line-of-sight...

www.salling.com Be sure you have a compatible phone!

Even an older PowerBook that has an IR port, will have that on the back, which makes use of the remote more challenging than on the new systems, which have the port on the front. You must be able to see the port for the remote to work.
The newest PowerBook with an IR port, until the MacBook Pro? The Titanium model, known as the Gigabit Ethernet, which was replaced by a non-IR model (called a DVI model) about 4 years ago.

Those earlier PowerBooks with IrDA weren't about Ir-Remotes, but rather about communicating with mobile phones as modems or networking (slowly) with other computers.

I have front row installed on this G5 desktop. it's, for the most part, a bit slow, and not very powerful. a bit like a public beta.

sinclair_tm said:
1st have you gone to everymac.com, or apple.com and looked to see if a irad port is listed. if not, then it doesn't have one.
2nd, it sounds really bad for you to ask with help on a 'hacked' apple app here. i hope it just means that it has been modified to alow you to run it on unsupported macs, kind of like xpostfacto does for os x, and not something else.

I bought my mac in the summer of 05, front row was released in november of 05. the powerbook didn't even get front row till like late last year or early this year.

Heck, I totally haven't _read_ the thread before, I guess. Wah! ... Ehrm... Your PowerBook doesn't _have_ an IR port - period. FrontRow's not available for Macs that didn't come with it - period. Board rules etc. apply. Please don't talk about this stuff...

Back