Insanely sloooow usb transfers....

canadian68

Registered
I have a mid-2010 Mac Mini.
I have an external seagate 2TB drive. I formatted it OSX extended, journalled.
I said NO, no time machine. This drive is just for me to put files on.
That being said.... transferring files is pathetically slow.
7 hours right now for 8.84gig. I could have BURNED this to a DL dvd in 14 minutes... why is my usb so damned slow?? copying to usb flash drives, is just as slow. This is pathetic.
My old 1.2DP MDD G4 was far faster...
I am running OSX 10.7.4 (*ALL* updates for everything and anything applied.)

Please....anyone know what the problem here is?

So you're saying do away with Lion, downgrade...and everything will magically be better....?

Not exactly the fix i was looking for. Infact, thats no fix at all.

Lots of posts about slow USB speeds with Lion.
There's some possible fixes mentioned, which don't seem to always help.

Have you tried the common resets?
SMC reset on your mini is just unplugging ALL connectors, including the power cord. Let it sit with nothing connected for at least 15 seconds, then plug back in.
Then, a PRAM reset. Make sure the mini is OFF. Press and release the power button, immediately press and hold Option-Command-P and R. You should hear the startup boot chime sound, so continue to hold those same 4 keys until you hear the boot chime 2 more times, then release the keys to allow a normal boot.
If you still get slow USB speeds, try turning off the bluetooth card (which also uses the USB bus). If your keyboard and mouse are bluetooth, then you will like to try a wired USB keyboard and mouse, as you'll need that to turn the bluetooth back on.
I don't know for sure that any of that will help, but it's all simple, and worth a try.

Turns out the "most wonderful excellent design in modern styling" usb hub i bought from china, this nice 16 port, usb 2.0 hub....is at fault.
connecting the drive directly to the mac mini.....77gig transfers in 14 minutes.

So yeah, pretty sure that make the hub the culprit. lol

16 port USB hub? Really?
Do you have any potential use that would need that many ports?

And - yes, external USB hubs can often lead to strange problems. I have had experiences as a service tech with that, so I often ask first about external devices. Some users tend to forget that the hub itself is also a USB device.

Turns out the "most wonderful excellent design in modern styling" usb hub i bought from china, this nice 16 port, usb 2.0 hub....is at fault.
connecting the drive directly to the mac mini.....77gig transfers in 14 minutes.

So yeah, pretty sure that make the hub the culprit. lol

Was it a powered hub? Maybe old enough to only be usb1.0?

Back