Instaling OSX on different Macs

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoranb

Registered
I was told that each OSX cd can be different and some versions cannot be installed on different macs. For eg. a friend couldnt install the same OSXcd on a G5 and on a powerbook! Is this true can there be similar incompatibilities?
I for eg. have an old eMac 900 and i want to install my iMacG5 2GHz OSX, will i encounter any problems?

The pure OS X install DVD / CD are not CPU specific - but are still licensed still for a certain amount of CPUs where to use them, and that is normally one / media.

The optical media that you get when you buy a Mac is CPU specific. So if you get a Powerbook, the optical media coming with it and containing OS X system will install only on that generation same kind of Powerbook. So if you want to install the OS X that came with you iMac G5 (and not something you bought separately) on the eMac, it will not install.

Yep. Retail CDs/DVDs are universal for any Macintosh, while the CDs/DVDs that ship with a certain computer are specific to that model of computer.

Plus, as Gia mentioned, licensing issues prevent you from using the install media to install OS X on more than one computer, unless you've purchased the family pack.

Welcome to the 586th thread about this subject. Hm. I'll make a sticky thread about it, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back