Install Applications to External Drive?

gootdude

Registered
Hey all, brand new owner of an iBook and a Windows switcher. I was just wondering if I could install applications to an external firewire drive? If I can, would I be able to connect the drive only when I want to use an application? I only ask this because I heard OS X likes to have atleast 5 gigs free and I only have like 23 free on the ibook.

I was just wondering if I could install applications to an external firewire drive?

Yes.

If I can, would I be able to connect the drive only when I want to use an application?

Yes. The preferences (settings) are kept in your Library folder, so if you want you can even run an application from a CD or DVD and it will work perfectly, which is what I do for Virtual PC because I so rarely need to use it.

I would recommend keeping all Apple-branded applications (Safari, iTunes, Mail, iLife apps, FCP, iChat, etc.) in their default location (inside /Applications) on the main hard drive. When it comes time to update those applications, you may experience problems if you've moved the applications out of their default install location.

gootdude said:
I only ask this because I heard OS X likes to have atleast 5 gigs free and I only have like 23 free on the ibook.
Even more important is keep a minimum of 15% free space on the drive to reduce the risk of irreparable harm to the file sytstem on the drive.

My next question now is what type of file-system should I format the drive to if I am installing applications to it? Should I use HFS+ with journaling or without journaling?

Thanks

Journaling is an option you can turn off or on at will. There is nothing special about the formatting. In truth, you do want it on. It offers additional protection against unexpected shut downs, power outages, etc. and the impact on disk I/O speed is nil.

Back