Install Panther on a Tiger-shipped iBook

prdurham

Registered
hi, I need to install Panther on an iBook that shipped with Tiger in order to run an old app until it upgrades. is that possible (I have the generic 10.3 disc set that I purchased separately).

I assume I would have to do a clean install.

thanks very much.
paul

prdurham said:
hi, I need to install Panther on an iBook that shipped with Tiger in order to run an old app until it upgrades. is that possible (I have the generic 10.3 disc set that I purchased separately).
It may work, or it may not.

Apple recommends against installing a version of OS X on your machine earlier than the version that it ships with, because there may be code specific to the model of Mac that you have that is required:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25497

It should work just fine on the iBooks, as they haven't had a major update in a while. (In other words, it's highly doubtful you'll have any problems.)

I'd get on the company offering the app that isn't working with Tiger though...they've had more than enough time to get things updated to work with Tiger. Sounds like they're either lazy or incompetent to me. Is there another app that'll do the same thing?

just as an example, that doesn't work on recent G5 Power Macs.
We bought 5 machines a couple of months ago.
We tried everything but there was no way we could install Panther on it :(
So now we have some people working on Tiger and others on Panther...

I would have to say it is not possible. I have just taken delivery of a Powerbook and that will not install or boot anything other than 10.4.2 that it ships with. Apple usually lock down in firmware the ability to boot to anything other than the latest version of the OS.

Yep -- if the iBook shipped with Tiger pre-installed from Apple, then it's doubtful you'll be able to install an older version of the operating system on that machine. If the iBook shipped with 10.4.3 on there, I'd think you'd have trouble even trying to install 10.4.2 on there, much less Panther.

wow, no consensus.

well, I guess I'll just give it a try and hope for the best.

thanks for your input.
paul

Back