Install Problem

Greg~NJ

Registered
Hello everyone, first post. :)

I just purchased a used Mac off of Ebay. It runs great! But since this is my first Mac and all I have is a PC VGA monitor connected to the back of the Mac via an adapter.

Here's the issue. After using 8.6, I really would like to install Mac OSX 10.2 (which I just purchased) Now, when I insert the CD and I see the icon on the desktop, I double click it and then I go to the folder. After launching the installer and hitting restart, I hear the sound that indicates the Mac is restarting. After booting from the CD, I don't see a thing on my screen. Only a message from my monitor "Out of Range" What do I do from there?

I really don't have the space here on my desk to get a Mac monitor......

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Greg~NJ

Originally posted by AppMan
When using OS 8.6 does your screen resolution change while it is booting up?

The screen flickers a little but then kicks on. I had to adjust the monitor to align the screen. I went from 1152*? to 1024*768. But when booting up, it stays at a constant 1024*768

Go into the Preferences folder, inside the System Folder and trash the display preference and try again. Could be that your monitor won't work with X,

Originally posted by bobw
Go into the Preferences folder, inside the System Folder and trash the display preference and try again. Could be that your monitor won't work with X,

Will do! But should I reboot after I trash the display preference? Thanks!

I dont think your display will cause any problems, it can't really not work with os x...

what kind of adapter is it?

also, you might check the adapter, if it can be set to different resolutions, you might try another resolution, or if it has an option for multiple resolutions, try that...

Really does sound like a problem with your vid adapter. Does the adapter have little switches to allow different video modes? If so, try to choose one that locks you into a usable video, like 800 x 600, or 1024 x 768

The adapter is piece of crap. There are no switches. I guess that's what you get for $10. :rolleyes:

The type of Mac I have is in my signature.

Greg~NJ, you should be able to get an adapter, with switches, for $4 - $10.

Some of the "automatic" adapters really don't work well.

But I'm with DeltaMac, it sounds like an adapter issue.

OSX is a bit more picky then installing the other mac os's and a monitor is required for installation.

The other issue, is what type of mac is it... if it's a mac that requires a VGA adaptor, chances are your mac might be too old to install X on anyway.

Unless you have the beige G3, which is the only machine I'm aware of that supports osx and has need for a VGA monitor adaptor. (The Blue and White G3 and newer did not require a VGA adaptor.)

It states on everymac.com and Apple.com, that my G3 can infact run Mac OSX. When I get my digital camera up and running again (dead batteries, ordered a few new ones) I'll post a picture of the adapter that I bought. It's basically orange and goes from the VGA to Mac adapter via a pin transer. No DIP switches.

But I was thinking, is it worth all this trobule or should I grab a used Mac monitor (cheap, like $70) off of Ebay?

Well, I got it working, I set the resolution to 640*480 @ 65 khz, popped the CD in, ran the installer and it worked. Took a minute or so for the screen to come on, it displayed "Out of Range for a minute and then ran fine. I didn't bother to install, I don't have the time, yet. Maybe this weekend.

But I ran into a weird problem, but I solved the dilemma. I have a Kensington TurboMouse (Trackball) and when I sometimes boot into the OSX installer or OS 8.6, the mouse will freeze but the system responds to other commands give by the keyboard. Now, when I switched the port on the back of the mouse to the other one, everything was fine.

Question is, should I opt myself to purchase a USB card with the new USB ketyboard and mouse? I'd rather put money to that than having to buy a seperate monitor for my Mac.

Regards.

Greg~NJ

PS. I plan to stay, this message board is very helpful.

You'll probably need some updated software for that turbomouse. Your idea of adding a USB card is a good one, you'll find that most any keyboard or mouse can be used. (those with custom keys or extra features all mostly work as standard keyboard or mouse, even without installing addtional software.) after installing OS X, a 3 button scrolling mouse just works!

Originally posted by DeltaMac
You'll probably need some updated software for that turbomouse. Your idea of adding a USB card is a good one, you'll find that most any keyboard or mouse can be used. (those with custom keys or extra features all mostly work as standard keyboard or mouse, even without installing addtional software.) after installing OS X, a 3 button scrolling mouse just works!

Could you point me in the direction where I might be able to grab the new drivers? Thanks!

I do plan on getting a Mac keyboard (off of Ebay, cheaper) and problem a Logic Mouse, that'll set me up. :)

Back