Install Tiger from a FireWire HD

rberteau said:
Does anyone know if this can be done? And if so, have you tried it?
Yes, and yes. I installed Tiger each way on different partitions of my external (cloned 10.3.9 to 2 of them first). All installs worked perfectly. I cloned the erase and install/Migration-Assistant import version to my internal. I had no reason to choose this version except that I predicted that it was least likely to reveal problems given extended use.

I guess he meant _from_ FireWire HD, i.e. to clone a DVD image file to the drive. I personally think that it would simply refuse to boot. But IIRC something similar was done to install Jaguar and later on unsupported machines (G2 PCI PowerMacs). Some files must be edited/removed for the HD to boot the installer.

What you _can_ do, however, is to simply mount the disk image and run (DVD)/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg ... You can't install onto the booted system, though. So you might have to create an interim system to boot from on the external drive. Once you've booted into that one, you can mount the disk image, run the installer mpkg and install onto the internal drive.

Right. Maybe I don't know what he meant. Maybe he's thinking, for example, clone one's internal to a firewire. Install Tiger (a legal copy) from another Mac on the firewire. Then, clone the new Tiger installation back to the original internal. That's, what I did except there was no intervening computer. But, then one could always use firewire target-disk mode if another firewire computer is available. Oh well.

Okay, this is what I am trying to do. You want to install Tiger, but you don't have a DVD reader on an older Apple machine. Instead of sending it off to Apple along with your DVD to get CD's to install, you want to copy the installer to an External FW HD (or create a .dmg of the DVD??) and run the installation from their. That was the plan.

Well, it didn't work. After creating a .dmg of the DVD and then unpacking and running the intaller, my Apple G3 iMac reboots and says it will install after reboot but nothing really happens.

Any thoughts on this.....the last post mentioned booting to an external HD and then running the installer from their but installing it to the internal HD????

Yeah -- you can't boot from a DMG file. You initially mount the DMG then try to install, so your computer reboots -- which unmounts the DMG. Since you can't automount the DMG at startup, the computer now does not have a startup device to boot from!

Short answer, you need a real, tangible device to boot from -- not a virtual one (like a disk image).

Try this (it may take some time):
1) Completely wipe/erase the FireWire disk
2) Insert your Tiger install DVD
3) Open Disk Utility and create a new disk image of the Tiger DVD by:
a. Highlight the Tiger install volume in the left-hand sidebar
b. Click "New Image" at the top of the Disk Utility window
c. Name it anything, and select "Image Format: DVD/CD Master" and "Encryption: none"
d. Click Save and save it to your local hard drive (not the FireWire drive)
4) Connect the FireWire drive and mount it if it isn't already
5) In Disk Utility, click the "Restore" tab (next to "First Aid," "Erase," etc.)
6) Drag the disk image you just created into the "Source:" and drag the FireWire volume into the "Detination:" fields
7) Click "Restore"

Alternatively, you may be able to skip the whole disk image making process, and instead drag the actual Tiger DVD into the "Source:" field and the FireWire device into the "Destination:" field.

Then, select the FireWire device in the Startup Disk preference pane, and it should boot from the FireWire drive as though it were booting from the installation DVD.

I haven't tested this myself, since I can't boot from a FireWire device, but I think it may work... if you've got the time (as disk image making is rather time consuming).

I hope that helps!

rberteau said:
Okay, ... you want to copy the installer to an External FW HD (or create a .dmg of the DVD??) and run the installation from their. That was the plan.

Well, it didn't work. After creating a .dmg of the DVD and then unpacking and running the intaller, my Apple G3 iMac reboots and says it will install after reboot but nothing really happens.
Install Tiger on a partition on the external firewall. Then, clone the external to your internal.

And, from my message 2,

Yes, and yes. I installed Tiger each way on different partitions of my external (cloned 10.3.9 to 2 of them first). All installs worked perfectly. I cloned the erase and install/Migration-Assistant import version to my internal. I had no reason to choose this version except that I predicted that it was least likely to reveal problems given extended use.

Thanks for the ideas and replies....I wonder if I create the dmg and store it on my FWHD, then boot to the FWHD and run the installer and have my target install be the internal HD???

Will that work?

I'm thinking that you actually need to be booted from the installation DVD (or a copy of it) one way or another in order to install. I don't think you can run the installer without booting from the installer first, but I may be wrong.

(from ElDiabloConCaca)

Short answer, you need a real, tangible device to boot from -- not a virtual one (like a disk image).

Try this (it may take some time):
1) Completely wipe/erase the FireWire disk
2) Insert your Tiger install DVD
3) Open Disk Utility and create a new disk image of the Tiger DVD by:
a. Highlight the Tiger install volume in the left-hand sidebar
b. Click "New Image" at the top of the Disk Utility window
c. Name it anything, and select "Image Format: DVD/CD Master" and "Encryption: none"
d. Click Save and save it to your local hard drive (not the FireWire drive)
4) Connect the FireWire drive and mount it if it isn't already
5) In Disk Utility, click the "Restore" tab (next to "First Aid," "Erase," etc.)
6) Drag the disk image you just created into the "Source:" and drag the FireWire volume into the "Detination:" fields
7) Click "Restore"

Then, select the FireWire device in the Startup Disk preference pane, and it should boot from the FireWire drive as though it were booting from the installation DVD.

I haven't tested this myself, since I can't boot from a FireWire device, but I think it may work... if you've got the time (as disk image making is rather time consuming).

I did this to install a work copy while I was waiting for my ordered copy to arrive.

Just 2 points to the above instructions

1/ You don't have to erase the firewire drive

2/ Rename the FireWire drive to "Mac OS X Install DVD" (make sure this is the actual name of the mounted disk image) before choosing it as the startup disk.

NOTE: It works with the disk image being .dmg, .img or .ISO. (There could be others as well).

It worked like a charm and a friend even did it with Tiger server on a Mac with a broken DVD drive. The only drawback is that it scatters the install files all over the FireWire drive. ...And don't forget to rename your FireWire drive back to it's original name.

I hope this makes sense :eek:

rberteau said:
Thanks for the ideas and replies....I wonder if I create the dmg and store it on my FWHD, then boot to the FWHD and run the installer and have my target install be the internal HD???

Will that work?
You are very welcome. Why not do what is mentioned in 2 and 7? I have done it. And, doing so is very simple.

heya, i did this to install panther on my powerbook, using my ipod and had no problems, it worked great. But here, how do you delete it off it again without loosing everything else on the drive?

Hi,

i accidentally deleted oex 10.3 panther while trying to install tiger and i no longer have the panther cd, is there any way i can update to tiger from 10.1 as my ibook does not have a dvd drive and i dont seem to be able to create an image of my tiger dvd like you mentioned before. I do have an external dvd but it will not boot from it. any help would be appreciated as i am tearing my hair out now!!

Back