Installer.app not installing (null)

kilowatt

mach-o mach-o man
I am somehow unable to install ANYTHING in a .pkg, unless I get inside it and manually unpax it, which is annoying.

Here is a screenshot of the error I get:

http://lfnet.net/~liggett/images/wtf-diskspace.jpg

Any ideas?

Oh, also tried authenticating as root, just to see if it might be some permission issue, but that did not work either. The console log is blank of errors, and I also tried removing the com.apple.installer.plist.

Thanks!

I never seen that, usually if you can't install, you see a yellow triangle w/ rounded corner and an exclamation poit on the sign. Thats a new one.

If you google for this error, you'll see that a number of installers are affected by this (either a bad installer, or some minor bug in OS X somewhere

do this-- Note: If you get the message "You cannot install this software on this disk. (null)", try to click the Go Back and then the Continue buttons. It fixes the problem, or at least bypasses the error, doesn't seem to actually affect the install."

right click on the package
and select "open with.."
Choose installer 1.3.2, instead of the lower version.

Well, OK,but my system doesn't show other choices for installer, except for Pacifist (which could be OK to use)
I've searched a little more on this. The Installer 1.3.2 might be the culprit, but the work around when you see the error, is simpy to click on 'back' and then 'continue' works good. I duplicated the error on a couple on package installs, the bypass worked both times.

wow, thanks guys, that was fast!

Heh, just gotta hit back and then continue, eh?

I'll try this on the problem computer when I get to it!

thanks!

I also had the "(null)" thing happen when I restored from a backup. I ended up with a later version of Installer and a (slightly) earlier version of Mac OS X. The error went away when I updated everything to the latest version.

Back